Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Unmet social needs among low-income adults in the United States: associations with health care access and quality.Health Serv Res. 2020; 55: 873-882https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.13555
- Housing instability and food insecurity as barriers to health care among low-income Americans.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 71-77https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.00278.x
- Addressing basic resource needs to improve primary care quality: a community collaboration programme.BMJ Qual Saf. 2016; 25: 164-172https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2015-004521
Health Center Program: impact and growth. Health Resources & Service Administration. https://bphc.hrsa.gov/about/healthcenterprogram/index.html. Updated 2020. Accessed September 24, 2020.
- Prevalence of patient-reported social risk factors and receipt of assistance in federally funded health centers.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 360-364https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-05393-w
- Prevalence of housing problems among community health center patients.JAMA. 2018; 319: 717-719https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.19869
42 USC 254b: Health Centers. http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title42-section254b&num=0&edition=prelim. Accessed July 21, 2021.
- Enabling services improve access to care, preventive services, and satisfaction among health center patients.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 1468-1474https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2018.05228
- Receipt of social needs assistance and health center patient experience of care.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: e139-e147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.08.030
- Provision of social services and health care quality in U.S. community health centers, 2017.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 567-573https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2019.305519
- Collecting and applying data on social determinants of health in health care settings.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1017-1020https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.560
- Screening for social determinants of health in clinical care: moving from the margins to the mainstream.Public Health Rev. 2018; 39: 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s40985-018-0094-7
- Prevalence of screening for food insecurity, housing instability, utility needs, transportation needs, and interpersonal violence by us physician practices and hospitals.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1911514https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.11514
- Integrating social needs care into the delivery of health care to improve the Nation's health.The National Academies of Sciences Engineering Medicine, Washington, DC2019 (https://www.nationalacademies.org/our-work/integrating-social-needs-care-into-the-delivery-of-health-care-to-improve-the-nations-health. Published 2019. Accessed July 29, 2021)
- The role of value-based payment in promoting innovation to address social risks: a cross-sectional study of social risk screening by U.S. physicians.Milbank Q. 2020; 98: 1114-1133https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12480
- FQHC designation and safety net patient revenue associated with primary care practice capabilities for access and quality.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 2922-2928https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-021-06746-0
- Adoption of social determinants of health EHR tools by community health centers.Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16: 399-407https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2275
- How 6 organizations developed tools and processes for social determinants of health screening in primary care: an overview.J Ambul Care Manage. 2018; 41: 2-14https://doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0000000000000221
- Moving electronic medical records upstream: incorporating social determinants of health.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 215-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.07.009
- Integrating data on social determinants of health into electronic health records.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 585-590https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1252
- Initiating and implementing social determinants of health data collection in community health centers.Popul Health Manag. 2021; 24: 52-58https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2019.0205
- Screening for social determinants of health in Michigan health centers.J Am Board Fam Med. 2017; 30: 418-427https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2017.04.170079
- Screening for social determinants of health in free and charitable clinics in North Carolina.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2020; 31: 382-397https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2020.0029
- Collecting social determinants of health data in the clinical setting: findings from national PRAPARE implementation.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2020; 31: 1018-1035https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2020.0075
PRAPARE. National Association of Community Health Centers. https://www.nachc.org/research-and-data/prapare/. Updated 2020. Accessed July 21, 2021.
Uniform Data System (UDS) resources. Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care. https://bphc.hrsa.gov/datareporting/reporting/index.html. Updated 2021. Accessed July 21, 2021.
- A View from the states: key Medicaid policy changes: results from a 50-state Medicaid budget survey for state fiscal years 2019 and 2020.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CA2019 (https://www.kff.org/medicaid/report/a-view-from-the-states-key-medicaid-policy-changes-results-from-a-50-state-medicaid-budget-survey-for-state-fiscal-years-2019-and-2020/. Published October 18, 2019. Accessed July 21, 2021)
- Screening for health-related social needs of emergency department patients.Ann Emerg Med. 2021; 77: 62-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2020.08.010
- Screening for social determinants of health in populations with complex needs: implementation considerations.Center for Health Care Strategies, Hamilton, NJ2017 (https://www.chcs.org/resource/screening-social-determinants-health-populations-complex-needs-implementation-considerations/. Published October 26, 2017. Accessed July 21, 2021)
- Screening for social determinants of health: the known and unknown.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1037-1038https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.10915
- Addressing social determinants of health identified by systematic screening in a Medicaid accountable care organization: a qualitative study.J Prim Care Community Health. 2021; 122150132721993651https://doi.org/10.1177/2150132721993651
- Variation in health outcomes: the role of spending on social services, public health, and health care, 2000–09.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 760-768https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0814
- CMS issues new road map for states to address the social determinants of health to improve outcomes, lower costs, support state value-based care strategies.Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD2021 (https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-issues-new-roadmap-states-address-social-determinants-health-improve-outcomes-lower-costs. Published January 7, 2021. Accessed July 21, 2021)
- Marrying value-based payment and the social determinants of health through Medicaid ACOs: implications for policy and practice.Milbank Memorial Fund, 2020 (May 2020. https://www.milbank.org/publications/marrying-value-based-payment-and-the-social-determinants-of-health-through-medicaid-acos-implications-for-policy-and-practice/. Accessed July 21, 2012)
- Accelerating the implementation of social determinants of health interventions in internal medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 223-225https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-017-4230-8
- National data on social risk screening underscore the need for implementation research.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1911513https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.11513
- Upstream with a small paddle: how ACOs are working against the current to meet patients’ social needs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 199-206https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.01266
- The prevalence of social care in US health care settings depends on how and whom you ask.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 481https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-05338-8
- What evidence do we need before recommending routine screening for social determinants of health?.Am Fam Physician. 2019; 99: 602-605https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31083876Date accessed: July 22, 2021
- Social determinants matter, but who is responsible?.Cottonwood Heights, UT, 2018 (Leavitt Partners. https://leavittpartners.com/whitepaper/social-determinants-matter-but-who-is-responsible/. Published May 9, 2018. Accessed July 22, 2021)
- Why more evidence is needed on the effectiveness of screening for social needs among high-use patients in acute care settings.Health Affairs Blog. 2019; (May 23, 2019)https://doi.org/10.1377/hblog20190520.243444
- Unemployment insurance, health-related social needs, health care access, and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.JAMA Intern Med. 2021; 181: 699-702https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.7048
- The early food insecurity impacts of COVID-19.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 2096https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12072096
- Addressing the social determinants of health during the COVID-19 pandemic: ensuring equity, quality, and sustainability.Fam Community Health. 2021; 44: 78-80https://doi.org/10.1097/FCH.0000000000000290