Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Leave in the time of COVID: examining paid sick leave laws.Univ Louisville Law Rev. 2021; 59: 393-416https://scholarship.law.vanderbilt.edu/faculty-publications/1229Date accessed: December 13, 2021
- Paid sick leave and risks of all-cause and cause-specific mortality among adult workers in the USA.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 1247https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14101247
- The impact of Connecticut's paid sick leave law on the use of preventive services.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: 812-819https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.12.023
- Associations between a New York City paid sick leave mandate and health care utilization among Medicaid beneficiaries in New York City and New York State.JAMA Health Forum. 2021; 2e210342https://doi.org/10.1001/jamahealthforum.2021.0342
- Association of paid sick leave with job retention and financial burden among working patients with colorectal cancer.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2688-2690https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.12383
- Paid sick leave and healthcare utilization in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: 856-865https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.01.009
Paid sick leave is good for business. A Better Balance. https://www.abetterbalance.org/resources/sickleavebusinesscase/. Updated February 23, 2021. Accessed June 26, 2021.
- Paid sick leave in Washington state: evidence on employee outcomes, 2016-2018.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 499-504https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2019.305481
- Unavailability of paid sick leave among parents is a barrier for children's utilization of nonemergency health services: evidence from the National Health Interview Survey.Int J Health Plann Manage. 2020; 35: 1083-1097https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.2988
- Paid sick leave and preventive health care service use among U.S. working adults.Prev Med. 2017; 99: 58-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.01.020
- Paid leave for personal illness: a detailed look at approaches across OECD countries.WORLD Policy Analysis Center, Los Angeles, CA2018https://www.worldpolicycenter.org/sites/default/files/WORLD%20Report%20-%20Personal%20Medical%20Leave%20OECD%20Country%20Approaches_0.pdfDate accessed: June 26, 2021
- Contagion Nation 2020: United States still the only wealthy nation without paid sick leave.Center for Economic and Policy Research. March 19, 2020;https://cepr.net/report/contagion-nation-2020-united-states-still-the-only-wealthy-nation-without-paid-sick-leave/Date accessed: June 26, 2021
Interactive overview of paid sick time laws in the United States. A better balance. https://www.abetterbalance.org/paid-sick-time-laws/. Accessed June 26, 2021.
National Conference of State Legislatures. Paid sick leave. Washington, DC: National Conference of State Legislatures. https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/paid-sick-leave.aspx. Published July 21, 2020. Accessed June 26, 2021.
- The pros and cons of sick pay schemes: testing for contagious presenteeism and noncontagious absenteeism behavior.J Public Econ. 2017; 156: 14-33https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2017.07.003
- Mandated sick pay: coverage, utilization, and welfare effects.National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MAMarch 2020https://doi.org/10.3386/w26832 (Published)
- The companies putting profits ahead of public health.The Editorial Board. The New York Times, March 14, 2020https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-paid-sick-leave.htmlDate accessed: June 26, 2021
- As coronavirus spreads, which U.S. workers have paid sick leave – and which don't?.Pew Research Center, Washington, DC2020https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/03/12/as-coronavirus-spreads-which-u-s-workers-have-paid-sick-leave-and-which-dont/Date accessed: June 26, 2021
- Employee Benefits in the United States [news release].U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2021https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ebs2.pdfDate accessed: October 1, 2021
- Estimates of workers who lack access to paid sick leave at 91 large service sector employers.University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA2020 (The Shift Project.)https://shift.hks.harvard.edu/files/2020/04/Estimates-of-Workers-Who-Lack-Access-to-Paid-Sick-Leave.pdf(Accessed June 26, 2021)Date accessed: June 26, 2021
- Paid family & medical leave in the U.S. Service sector.The Shift Project, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CAJune 2021https://shift.hks.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/PMFL_Brief_6.09.21.pdf(Accessed June 26, 2021)Date accessed: June 26, 2021
- COVID-19 widens disparities for workers of color.ABA J Labor Employ Law. 2020; 35: 33-39
- State legislative strategies to pass, enhance, and obscure preemption of local public health policymaking.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 59: 333-342https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.03.023
- Enacting local workplace regulations in an era of preemption.West Virginia Law Rev. 2019; 122: 941-964
- State preemption of local immigration “sanctuary” policies: legal considerations.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 259-264https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306018
- State gun-control, gun-rights, and preemptive firearm-related laws across 50 U.S. states for 2009-2018.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 1273-1280https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306287
- State preemption of food and nutrition policies and litigation: undermining government's role in public health.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 56: 47-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2018.07.027
- State preemption: an emerging threat to local sugar-sweetened beverage taxation.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 677-686https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306062
Worker rights preemption in the U.S. Economic Policy Institute. https://www.epi.org/preemption-map/. Accessed June 26, 2021.
Preemption Map. Grassroots Change/Preemption Watch. https://grassrootschange.net/preemption-watch/#/category/paid-sick-days. Accessed June 26, 2021.
- State law round-up: COVID-19 state and local paid sick leave law developments (US).The National Law Review, Western Springs, IL2020https://www.natlawreview.com/article/state-law-round-covid-19-state-and-local-paid-sick-leave-law-developments-us(Accessed June 26, 2021)Date accessed: June 26, 2021
- A technical guide for policy surveillance.SSRN Journal, Rochester, NY2021https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2469895http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2469895Date accessed: June 26, 2021
- Preemption Watch: savings clause: express protection against preemption.Grassroots Change, NYU, New York, NY2021https://grassrootschange.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Countering-Preemption-Savings-Clause-FINAL.pdf(Accessed June 26, 2021)Date accessed: June 26, 2021
Bureau of Economic Analysis. https://www.bea.gov/. Accessed June 24, 2021.
2018. County business patterns. The Census Bureau. (Approval ID: CBDRB-FY21-188). http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/susb/technical-documentation/methodology.html and http://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/susb/about/glossary.html. Accessed October 1, 2021.
- Union membership and coverage database from the Current Population Survey.Ind Labor Relat Rev. 2003; 56: 349-354https://doi.org/10.2307/3590942
- Assessing the impact of federal and state preemption in public health: a framework for decision makers.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013; 19: 213-219https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3182582a57
Tex. Ass'n of Bus. v. City of Austin, 565 S.W.3d 425 (Tex. App. 3rd 2018).
- Universal paid sick leave is essential for combating the pandemic and protecting the economy.U.S. Congress, Joint Economic Committee, Washington, DC2020https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/013a1720-1cf4-4fcd-baf1-1874fad51dcf/paid-sick-leave-the-coronavirus-final.pdf(Accessed October 1, 2021)Date accessed: October 1, 2021
- HR asks Congress for relief from growing number of paid leave laws.SHRM. December 7, 2017; (Accessed July 29, 2021)https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/hr-asks-congress-for-relief-from-growing-number-of-paid-leave-laws.aspxDate accessed: July 29, 2021
- Rare daylight emerges between corporate America, Republicans on paid leave.Politico. June 25, 2021; (Accessed July 29, 2021)https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/25/corporate-america-republicans-paid-leave-joe-biden-496269Date accessed: July 29, 2021
An Act Authorizing Earned Employee Leave. State of Maine, S.P. 110 – L.D. 369 (2019). https://mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=SP0110&item=4&snum=129. Accessed June 26, 2021.
Colorado general assembly SB20-205 (2020). https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/2020a_205_signed.pdf. Accessed July 29, 2021.