Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Perinatal depression: prevalence, screening accuracy, and screening outcomes.Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2005; : 1-8https://doi.org/10.1037/e439372005-001
- Perinatal depression: a systematic review of prevalence and incidence.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1071-1083https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000183597.31630.db
- Heterogeneity of postpartum depression: a latent class analysis.Lancet Psychiatry. 2015; 2: 59-67https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(14)00055-8
- Perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, serious mental illness, and delivery-related health outcomes, United States, 2006-2015.BMC Womens Health. 2020; 20: 150https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-020-00996-6
- Maternal Depression Can Undermine the Development of Young Children: working paper no. 8.Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA2009 (https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/maternal-depression-can-undermine-the-development-of-young-children/. Accessed December 17, 2021)
- A meta-analysis of depression during pregnancy and the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth restriction.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1012-1024https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.111
- The impact of maternal depression in pregnancy on early child development.BJOG. 2008; 115: 1043-1051https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2008.01752.x
- Prevalence, correlates, and outcomes of co-occurring depression and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2019; 28: 1460-1467https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2018.7144
- Racial/ethnic disparities in antenatal depression in the United States: a systematic review.Matern Child Health J. 2016; 20: 1780-1797https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-016-1989-x
- Vital signs: postpartum depressive symptoms and provider discussions about perinatal depression - United States, 2018.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 575-581https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6919a2
- Recorded diagnoses of depression during delivery hospitalizations in the United States, 2000-2015.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 133: 1216-1223https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000003291
- Racial/ethnic differences in mental health treatment among a national sample of pregnant women with mental health and/or substance use disorders in the United States.J Psychosom Res. 2019; 121: 74-80https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2019.03.015
- Antidepressant use among adults: United States, 2015–2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; (Accessed March 14, 2021): 1-8
- Barriers to service use for postpartum depression symptoms among low-income ethnic minority mothers in the United States.Qual Health Res. 2009; 19: 535-551https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732309332794
- Utilization of mental health services by low-income pregnant and postpartum women on medical assistance.Women Health. 2004; 39: 1-24https://doi.org/10.1300/J013v39n01_01
- Racial/ethnic differences in the correlates of mental health services use among pregnant women with depressive symptoms.Matern Child Health J. 2016; 20: 1911-1922https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-016-2005-1
- Disparity in depression treatment among racial and ethnic minority populations in the United States.Psychiatr Serv. 2008; 59: 1264-1272https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.59.11.1264
- Mental health and access to services among U.S. women of reproductive age.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203 (542.e1‒542.e5429)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2010.07.007
- Disparities in use of mental health and substance abuse services by Asian and Native Hawaiian/other Pacific Islander women.J Behav Health Serv Res. 2008; 35: 20-36https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-007-9078-y
- Financial toll of untreated perinatal mood and anxiety disorders among 2017 births in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 888-896https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305619
- Mental health consultations in the perinatal period: a cost-analysis of Medicare services provided to women during a period of intense mental health reform in Australia.Aust Health Rev. 2018; 42: 514-521https://doi.org/10.1071/AH17118
- Lifetime costs of perinatal anxiety and depression.J Affect Disord. 2016; 192: 83-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2015.12.005
- Perinatal depression and child development: exploring the economic consequences from a South London cohort.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 51-61https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291714001044
- Postpartum depression and health services expenditures among employed women.J Occup Environ Med. 2012; 54: 210-215https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e31823fdf85
- Births: final data for 2018.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2019; 68 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32501202. Accessed October 22, 2021): 1-47
IBM MarketScan research databases for health services researchers. IBM. https://www.ibm.com/products/marketscan-research-databases/databases. Accessed January 15, 2021.
- Medical expenditures associated with major depressive disorder among privately insured working-age adults with diagnosed diabetes in the United States, 2008.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 100: 102-110https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.02.002
- IBM MarketScan research databases user guide multi-state Medicaid database.IBM Watson Health, 2018 (Accessed January 10, 2021)
Databases, tables & calculators by subject. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. https://www.bls.gov/data/#prices. Accessed January 15, 2021.
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199801000-00004
Elixhauser comorbidity software refined for ICD-10-CM. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/comorbidityicd10/comorbidity_icd10.jsp. Updated October 29, 2021. Accessed January 29, 2021.
Chronic Conditions Data Warehouse. https://www2.ccwdata.org/web/guest/condition-categories. Accessed December 17, 2021.
- Post-ACA, more than one-third of women with prenatal Medicaid remained uninsured before or after pregnancy.Health Aff (Millwood). 2021; 40: 571-578https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.01678
- Incorporating recognition and management of perinatal depression into pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20183260https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-3260
- Position Statement on Screening and Treatment of Mood and Anxiety Disorders During Pregnancy and Postpartum.American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2018 (https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/About-APA/Organization-Documents-Policies/Policies/Position-Screening-and-Treatment-Mood-Anxiety-Disorders-During-Pregnancy-Postpartum.pdf. Accessed January 1, 2021)
- ACOG committee opinion no. 757. Screening for perinatal depression.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e208-e212https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002927
- Association of mental health with health care use and cost: a population study.Can J Psychiatry. 2011; 56: 490-494https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371105600807
- The impact of a history of poor mental health on health care costs in the perinatal period.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2019; 22: 467-473https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-018-0912-4
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of depression.Indian J Psychiatry. 2017; 59: S34-S50https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.196973
- Preferences and perceived barriers to treatment for depression during the perinatal period.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2008; 17: 1301-1309https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2007.0631
- How structural racism works - racist policies as a root cause of U.S. racial health inequities.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 768-773https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2025396
- Impact of the transition from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on the identification of pregnancy episodes in U.S. health insurance claims data.Clin Epidemiol. 2020; 12: 1129-1138https://doi.org/10.2147/CLEP.S269400
- National Health Interview Survey: tables of summary health statistics.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2019 (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/shs/tables.htm. Accessed March 24, 2021)
- Trends and state variations in out-of-hospital births in the United States, 2004-2017.Birth. 2019; 46: 279-288https://doi.org/10.1111/birt.12411