Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and cardiometabolic health: an update of the evidence.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 1840https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11081840
- Dietary sugars and body weight: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies.BMJ. 2013; 346: e7492https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e7492
- Sugar-sweetened beverage reduction policies: progress and promise.Annu Rev Public Health. 2021; 42: 439-461https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-090419-103005
- The impact of soda taxes: pass-through, tax avoidance, and nutritional effects.J Mark Res. 2021; 58: 22-49https://doi.org/10.1177/0022243720969401
- Higher sugar-sweetened beverage retail prices after excise taxes in Oakland and San Francisco.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1017-1023https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305602
- The impact of the Cook County, IL, sweetened beverage tax on beverage prices.Econ Hum Biol. 2020; 37100855https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2020.100855
- The impact of Seattle's sweetened beverage tax on beverage prices and volume sold.Econ Hum Biol. 2020; 37100856https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2020.100856
- The impact of the Oakland SSB tax on prices and volume sold: a study of intended and unintended consequences.Health Econ. 2021; 30: 1745-1771https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.4267
- The impact of a sweetened beverage tax on beverage volume sold in Cook County, Illinois, and its border area.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 172: 390-397https://doi.org/10.7326/M19-2961
- Chapter 19. 4100 of the Philadelphia Code. Bill No. 160176: Sugar-sweetened beverage tax.City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA2016Published June 2016. Accessed December 2, 2021)
- Association of a beverage tax on sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages with changes in beverage prices and sales at chain retailers in a large urban setting.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1799-1810https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.4249
- No evidence of food or alcohol substitution in response to a sweetened beverage tax.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: e49-e57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.08.021
- Cost effectiveness of a sugar-sweetened beverage excise tax in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 112-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.03.004
- Estimating the effects of a calorie-based sugar-sweetened beverage tax on weight and obesity in New York City adults using dynamic loss models.Ann Epidemiol. 2015; 25: 350-357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2014.12.008
- Changes in consumption of sugary beverages and artificially sweetened beverages and subsequent risk of type 2 diabetes: results from three large prospective U.S. cohorts of women and men.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 2181-2189https://doi.org/10.2337/dc19-0734
- In Mexico, evidence of sustained consumer response two years after implementing a sugar-sweetened beverage tax.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 564-571https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.1231
- Reproducibility and validity of food frequency questionnaires.Nutritional Epidemiology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2012: 96-141
QuickFacts: Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/philadelphiacountypennsylvania. Updated December 10, 2020. Accessed November 3, 2021.
QuickFacts: Baltimore city (County), Maryland. United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/baltimorecitycountymaryland. Updated December 10, 2020. Accessed November 3, 2021.
Muth MK, Sweitzer M, Brown D, et al. Understanding IRI household-based and store-based scanner data. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/47633/57104_tb-1942_summary.pdf?v=0. Published April 2016. Accessed December 2, 2021.
Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget. North American industry classification system. Washington, DC: Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget.https://www.census.gov/naics/reference_files_tools/2017_NAICS_Manual.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed December 2, 2021.
- Designing difference in difference studies: best practices for public health policy research.Annu Rev Public Health. 2018; 39: 453-469https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040617-013507
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc B. 1995; 57 (Accessed January 25, 2022.): 289-300
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) for the sweetened beverage tax of Berkeley, CA. City of Berkeley.http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/uploadedFiles/Finance/Level_3_-_General/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20Edited%20Version%20111015.2.pdf. Updated December 30, 2017. Accessed January 4, 2022.
Sugary drinks tax. Treasurer & Tax Collector. https://sftreasurer.org/business/taxes-fees/sugary-drinks-tax. Updated May 11, 2021. Accessed January 4, 2022.
Chapter 4.52.030 of the Oakland municipal code. City of Oakland. https://library.municode.com/ca/oakland/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT4REFI_CH4.52SUEEBEDITA. Updated October 28, 2021. Accessed February 18, 2022.
Act 39 of 2016. Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board. https://www.lcb.pa.gov/Legal/Pages/Act39of2016.aspx. Updated July 29, 2016. Accessed January 4, 2022.
- The impact of sugar-sweetened beverage taxes on purchases: evidence from four city-level taxes in the United States.Health Econ. 2020; 29: 1289-1306https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.4141
- Changes in beverage purchases following the announcement and implementation of South Africa's Health Promotion Levy: an observational study.Lancet Planet Health. 2021; 5: e200-e208https://doi.org/10.1016/S2542-5196(20)30304-1
- The economics of taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages: a review of the effects on prices, sales, cross-border shopping, and consumption.Annu Rev Nutr. 2019; 39: 317-338https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nutr-082018-124603
- The association of a sweetened beverage tax with changes in beverage prices and purchases at independent stores.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 1130-1139https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.01058
- Association of a sweetened beverage tax with purchases of beverages and high-sugar foods at independent stores in Philadelphia.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2113527https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.13527
- Sugar-sweetened and diet beverage consumption in Philadelphia one year after the beverage tax.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 1336https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17041336
- The impact of the Philadelphia beverage tax on purchases and consumption by adults and children.J Health Econ. 2019; 67102225https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2019.102225