Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Sexual orientation and gender identity data collection: clinical and public health importance.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 991-993https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305722
- Planning and implementing sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in electronic health records.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019; 26: 66-70https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocy137
- Optimizing gender-affirming medical care through anatomical inventories, clinical decision support, and population health management in electronic health record systems.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2021; 28: 2531-2535https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocab080
- The “Ask” Is the “Answer”: implementing routine documentation of sexual orientation and gender identity in health care.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109 ([published correction appears in Am J Public Health. 2019;109(10):e4]): 1071-1073https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2019.305192
- Sexual and gender minority health in the COVID-19 pandemic: why data collection and combatting discrimination matter now more than ever.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1360-1361https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305829
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
The Joint Commission. Advancing effective communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community: a field guide. Oak Brook, IL: The Joint Commission.https://www.jointcommission.org/-/media/tjc/documents/resources/patient-safety-topics/health-equity/lgbtfieldguide_web_linked_verpdf.pdf?db=web&hash=FD725DC02CFE6E4F21A35EBD839BBE97&hash=FD725DC02CFE6E4F21A35EBD839BBE97. Published 2011. Accessed January 18, 2022.
- Considerations for transgender population health research based on US national surveys.Ann Epidemiol. 2022; 65: 65-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.10.009
- Implementation of gender identity and assigned sex at birth data collection in electronic health records: where are we now?.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 6599https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18126599
- Risks, benefits, and importance of collecting sexual orientation and gender identity data in healthcare settings: a multi-method analysis of patient and provider perspectives.LGBT Health. 2017; 4: 141-152https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2016.0107
- Using sexual orientation and gender identity data in electronic health records to assess for disparities in preventive health screening services.Int J Med Inform. 2020; 142104245https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2020.104245
- Proportion of patients who disclose their sexual orientation to healthcare providers and its relationship to patient outcomes: a meta-analysis and review.Patient Educ Couns. 2018; 101: 1549-1560https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2018.05.001
- Structural transphobia, homophobia, and biphobia in public health practice: the example of COVID-19 surveillance.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 1620-1626https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306277
- Sexual orientation-related disparities in health conditions that elevate COVID-19 severity.Ann Epidemiol. 2021; 66: 5-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.11.006
- Evidence of social and structural COVID-19 disparities by sexual orientation, gender identity, and race/ethnicity in an urban environment.J Urban Health. 2021; 98: 27-40https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-020-00497-9
- Electronic health records as an equity tool for LGBTQIA+ people.Nat Med. 2021; 27: 2071-2073https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-021-01592-3
- Program assistance letter (PAL 2016-02). Approved uniform data system changes for calendar year 2016.Bureau of Primary Health Care, Health Resources and Services Administration, Rockville, MD2016 (https://bphc.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bphc/datareporting/reporting/program-assistance-letter-2016-02.pdf. Accessed November 17, 2020)
Uniform data system reporting instructions for 2016 Health Center Data. Health Resources & Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care.https://bphc.hrsa.gov/datareporting/reporting/index.html. Updated November 4, 2016. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity in Stage 3 Meaningful Use Guidelines: a huge step forward for LGBT health.LGBT Health. 2016; 3: 100-102https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2015.0136
- Collecting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records: Workshop Summary.National Academies Press (U.S.), Washington, DC2013
- Improving data for the LGBT community.HHS, Washington, DC2011 (https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/assets/pdf/checked/1/Fact_Sheet_LGBT.pdf. Accessed August 20, 2021)
- National Health Center data.2021 (https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/data-reporting/program-data/national. Accessed July 19, 2021)
- Required sexual orientation and gender identity reporting by US health centers: first-year data.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1111-1118https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2019.305130
Uniform data system reporting instructions for 2017 Health Center Data. Health Resources & Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care.https://bphc.hrsa.gov/datareporting/reporting/index.html. Updated August 31, 2017. Accessed February 14, 2022.
Uniform data system reporting instructions for 2018 Health Center Data. Health Resources & Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care.https://bphc.hrsa.gov/datareporting/reporting/index.html. Updated June 1, 2018. Accessed February 14, 2022.
Uniform data system reporting instructions for 2019 Health Center Data. Health Resources & Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care. https://bphc.hrsa.gov/datareporting/reporting/index.html. Updated May 28, 2019. Accessed February 14, 2022.
Rural-urban continuum codes. U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Services.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes/. Updated December 10, 2020. Accessed July 16, 2021.
RStudio: integrated development for R. RStudio Team, RStudio, PBC. http://www.rstudio.com/. Accessed January 10, 2022.
- Do ask, do tell: high levels of acceptability by patients of routine collection of sexual orientation and gender identity data in four diverse American community health centers.PLoS One. 2014; 9e107104https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107104
- Training in sexual and gender minority health - expanding education to reach all clinicians.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2388-2391https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1810522
- The role of implementation science in reducing sexual and gender minority mental health disparities.LGBT Health. 2021; 8: 169-172https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2020.0379
- Sexual orientation and gender identity data collection at US Health Centers: impact of city-level structural stigma in 2018.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 2059-2063https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306414
- Barriers to health care among adults with minoritized identities in the United States, 2013–2017.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 857-862https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305598
- Underserved populations with missing race ethnicity data differ significantly from those with structured race/ethnicity documentation.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019; 26: 722-729https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocz040
- Intersectionality and health inequities for gender minority Blacks in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 59: 639-647https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.04.013
- The association of multiple identities with self-directed violence and depression among transgender individuals.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2016; 46: 535-544https://doi.org/10.1111/sltb.12234
Wilson BDM, Bouton L, Mallory C. American Indian and Alaska Native LGBT adults in the US: LGBT well-being at the intersection of race. Los Angeles, CA: Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law. https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/publications/aian-lgbt-adults-us/. Published October 2021. Accessed January 10, 2022.
- Will veterans answer sexual orientation and gender identity questions?.Med Care. 2017; 55: S85-S89https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000744
- Uniform data system reporting instructions for 2020 Health Center Data.Health Resources & Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care, Rockville, MD2020 (https://bphc.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bphc/datareporting/pdf/2020-uds-manual.pdf. Published August 21, 2020. Accessed February 14, 2022)