Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- ADA statement on the use of opioids in the treatment of dental pain.American Dental Association, 2016 (https://www.ada.org/resources/research/science-and-research-institute/oral-health-topics/oral-analgesics-for-acute-dental-pain. Updated October 2016. Accessed January 25, 2022)
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain–United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.1464
- Comparison of opioid prescribing by dentists in the United States and England.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e194303https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.4303
- Unused opioid analgesics and drug disposal following outpatient dental surgery: a randomized controlled trial.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 168: 328-334https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.08.016
- Overprescribing of opioids to adults by dentists in the U.S., 2011-2015.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 58: 473-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.11.006
- Association of opioid prescriptions from dental clinicians for U.S. adolescents and young adults with subsequent opioid use and abuse [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019;179(7):1007].JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 145-152https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.5419
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2018 Annual surveillance report of drug-related risks and outcomes ‒ United States. Surveillance Special Report. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, HHS. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/pubs/2018-cdc-drug-surveillance-report.pdf. Published August 31, 2018. Accessed January 25, 2022.
- Persistent opioid use after wisdom tooth extraction.JAMA. 2018; 320: 504-506https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.9023
- What we know, and don't know, about the impact of state policy and systems-level interventions on prescription drug overdose.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 145: 34-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.10.001
- Schedules of controlled substances: rescheduling of hydrocodone combination products from schedule III to schedule II. Final rule.Fed Regist. 2014; 79: 49661-49682
- Effects of hydrocodone rescheduling on opioid use outcomes: a systematic review.J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2021; 61: e20-e44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2020.09.013
- Opioid prescribing laws are not associated with short-term declines in prescription opioid distribution.Pain Med. 2020; 21: 532-537https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnz159
- Vital signs: changes in opioid prescribing in the United States, 2006-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 697-704https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6626a4
- Opioid analgesics in Georgia Medicaid: trends in potential inappropriate prescribing practices by demographic characteristics, 2009-2014.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2018; 24: 886-894https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2018.24.9.886
- Trends in opioid analgesic-prescribing rates by specialty, U.S., 2007-2012.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 409-413https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.02.020
- Comparing changes in controlled substance prescribing trends by provider type.Am J Addict. 2020; 29: 35-42https://doi.org/10.1111/ajad.12962
- Opioid prescribing behaviors - Prescription Behavior Surveillance System, 11 States, 2010-2016.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2020; 69: 1-14https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6901a1
- Opioid prescribing patterns by dental procedure among U.S. publicly and privately insured patients, 2013 through 2018.J Am Dent Assoc. 2021; 152: 309-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2021.01.001
- Trends in national opioid prescribing for dental procedures among patients enrolled in Medicaid [published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2021;152(10):A8].J Am Dent Assoc. 2021; 152 (e3): 622-630https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2021.04.013
- Opioid prescribing practices from 2010 through 2015 among dentists in the United States: what do claims data tell us?.J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; 149 (e6): 237-245https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2018.01.005
Rural-urban continuum codes. Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes/documentation/. Updated December 10, 2020. Accessed August 1, 2020.
- List of extended-release and long-acting opioid products required to have an opioid REMS.U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2017 (https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/list-extended-release-and-long-acting-opioid-products-required-have-opioid-rems. Updated November 24, 2017. Accessed June 3, 2020)
National population totals and components of change: 2010‒2019. U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2010s-national-total.html. Updated October 21, 2021. Accessed February 17, 2020.
- Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control.5th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2016
- Estimating average annual per cent change in trend analysis.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3670-3682https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3733
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates [published correction appears in Stat Med. 2001 Feb;20(4):655].Stat Med. 2000; 19 (http://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0258(20000215)19:3<335::aid-sim336>3.0.co;2-z): 335-351
- ADA adopts interim opioids policy.Washington State Dental Association. 2018; (May 29. https://www.wsda.org/news/blog/2018/03/29/ada-adopts-interim-opioids-policy. Accessed April 16, 2021)
- Laws limiting the prescribing or dispensing of opioids for acute pain in the United States: a national systematic legal review.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 194: 166-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2018.09.022
- Changes in coverage and access to dental care five years after ACA Medicaid expansion.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 1900-1908https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00386
- Prescription drug utilization and reimbursement increased following state Medicaid expansion in 2014.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2017; 23: 355-363https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2017.23.3.355
- Medicaid expansion and prescription trends: opioids, addiction therapies, and other drugs.Med Care. 2019; 57: 208-212https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001054
- Medicare program; Contract year 2015 policy and technical changes to the Medicare advantage and the Medicare prescription drug benefit programs. Final rule.Fed Regist. 2014; 79: 29843-29968
- CMS finalizes rule rescinding parts C, D enrollment requirements [press release].National Association of Dental Plans Press Release Archives, Dallas TXMay 8, 2018 (https://www.nadp.org/PressReleases/2018/05/09/cms-finalizes-rule-rescinding-parts-c-d-enrollment-requirements. Accessed April 14, 2021)
- American Geriatrics Society 2019 Updated AGS Beers Criteria® for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 674-694https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15767
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1299-1301https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.401
Acute dental pain management guideline (2022). American Dental Association.https://www.ada.org/resources/research/science-and-research-institute/evidence-based-dental-research/pain-management-guideline. Updated December 2021. Accessed December 19, 2021.
- Prescribing recommendations for the treatment of acute pain in dentistry.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2011; 32: 22-32
- Benefits and harms associated with analgesic medications used in the management of acute dental pain: an overview of systematic reviews [published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2018;149(6):413] [published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2020;151(3):163].J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; 149 (e3): 256-265https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2018.02.012