Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Total number of Medicare beneficiaries. State health facts. Kaiser Family Foundation. https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Updated 2022. Accessed August 2, 2021.
- Demographic trends of binge alcohol use and alcohol use disorders among older adults in the United States, 2005-2014.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017; 170: 198-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.11.003
- A hidden aspect of the U.S. opioid crisis: rise in first-time treatment admissions for older adults with opioid use disorder.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 193: 142-147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2018.10.002
- Opioid overdose hospitalizations among Medicare-disability beneficiaries.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 881-896https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.06.180152
- Overdose deaths from nonprescribed prescription opioids, heroin, and other synthetic opioids in Medicare beneficiaries.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2021; 124108282https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2021.108282
- National trends in antidepressant, benzodiazepine, and other sedative-hypnotic treatment of older adults in psychiatric and primary care.J Clin Psychiatry. 2017; 78: e363-e371https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.16m10713
- Trends in opioid use disorder among older adults: analyzing Medicare data, 2013-2018.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: 850-855https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.01.010
- Insurance financing increased for mental health conditions but not for substance use disorders, 1986-2014.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 958-965https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0002
- Substance-use disorders in later life.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2351-2360https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1805981
- Effects of alcohol-related disease on hip fracture and mortality: a retrospective cohort study of hospitalized Medicare beneficiaries.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 1089-1093https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.91.7.1089
- Association between age, substance use, and outcomes in Medicare enrollees with prostate cancer.J Geriatr Oncol. 2016; 7: 444-452https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2016.06.007
SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act, H.R.6, 115th Cong. (2017-2018). https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/6/. Accessed March 14, 2022.
- Medicare’s discriminatory coverage policies for substance use disorders.Health Affairs, Bethesda, MD2021Accessed September 16, 2021)
Weber E, Steinberg D. Medicare coverage of substance use disorder care: a landscape review of benefit coverage, service gaps and a path to reform. New York, NY: Legal Action Center; https://www.lac.org/resource/medicare-coverage-of-substance-use-disorder-care-a-landscape-review-of-benefit-coverage-service-gaps-and-a-path-to-reform. Published 2021. Accessed August 13, 2021.
- National Survey on Drug Use and Health 2016 (NSDUH-2015-DS0001 through NSDUH-2019-DS0001).2021PublishedAccessed February 10, 2022)
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.2000 (4th Ed., Text Rev.)
- Treating substance use disorder in older adults.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, MD: Rockville2020https://store.samhsa.gov/product/treatment-improvement-protocol-tip-26-treating-substance-use-disorder-in-older-adults/PEP20-02-01-011Date accessed: March 14, 2022
- Demographic Turning Points for the United States: Population Projections for 2020 to 2060.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2020https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2020/demo/p25-1144.htmlDate accessed: March 14, 2022
- Substance abuse among older adults.Clin Geriatr Med. 2014; 30: 629-654https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2014.04.008
- Prevention and screening of unhealthy substance use by older adults.Clin Geriatr Med. 2018; 34: 117-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2017.08.005
- Gaps in access to opioid use disorder treatment for Medicare beneficiaries.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 233-237https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019. 00309
- Alcohol and opioid use disorder in older adults: neglected and treatable illnesses.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2016; 18: 87https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-016-0718-x
- Substance use disorders in individuals with mild to borderline intellectual disability: current status and future directions.Res Dev Disabil. 2015; 38: 319-328https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.12.029
- Behavioral disorders and diabetes-related outcomes among Massachusetts Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries.Psychiatr Serv. 2011; 62: 659-665https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.62.6.pss6206_0659
- A matched control analysis on the effects of alcohol use disorder after primary total knee arthroplasty in Medicare patients.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e593-e600https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-20-00466
- Substance use identification and follow-up rates among commercial and Medicare health insurance members in primary care and other settings.BMC Fam Pract. 2020; 21: 223https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-020-01286-8
- Alcohol use disorder and treatment receipt among individuals aged 50 years and older: other substance use and psychiatric correlates.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2021; 131108445https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2021.108445
- Elderly alcoholics compared to middle-aged alcoholics in outpatient treatment −6-month follow-up.Nord J Psychiatry. 2018; 72: 506-511https://doi.org/10.1080/08039488.2018.1522373
Suicide by age, United States 2010-2019. Suicide Prevention Resource Center. https://www.sprc.org/scope/age. Updated August 2021. Accessed August 2, 2021.
- Suicide in the elderly: approach to social determinants of health in the Dahlgren and Whitehead model.Rev Bras Enferm. 2020; 73e20200332https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2020-0332
Commonly used drugs charts. National Institute on Drug Abuse.https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/health-consequences-drug-misuse/introduction. Updated August 20, 2020. Accessed November 15, 2021.
- Association of alcohol intake and fracture risk in elderly varied by affected bones: a nationwide longitudinal study.Psychiatry Investig. 2020; 17: 1013-1020https://doi.org/10.30773/pi.2020.0143
- Current heavy alcohol consumption is associated with greater cognitive impairment in older adults.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016; 40: 2435-2444https://doi.org/10.1111/acer.13211