Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Severe childhood obesity: an under-recognised and growing health problem.Postgrad Med J. 2015; 91: 639-645https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2014-133033
- Prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance among children and adolescents with marked obesity.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 802-810https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012578
- Childhood obesity and adult cardiovascular mortality: a 57-y follow-up study based on the Boyd Orr cohort.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 67: 1111-1118https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/67.6.1111
- Household food security in the United States in 2019.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2020https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/99282/err-275.pdfDate accessed: December 9, 2022
- Food insecurity and health outcomes.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1830-1839https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0645
- Partial identification methods for evaluating food assistance programs: a case study of the causal impact of snap on food insecurity.Am J Agric Econ. 2017; 99: 875-893https://doi.org/10.1093/ajae/aax026
- Identifying the effects of WIC on food insecurity among infants and children.South Econ J. 2016; 82: 1106-1122https://doi.org/10.1002/soej.12078
- The impact of the National School Lunch Program on child health: a nonparametric bounds analysis.J Econ. 2012; 166: 79-91https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2011.06.007
- Op-Ed: let’s stop subsidizing obesity.MedPage Today, May 12, 2021https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/obesity/92509Date accessed: March 11, 2022
- Food stamps and obesity: what do we know?.SSRN. 2009; (Preprint. Online March 6)http://www.ssrn.com/abstract=1354190Date accessed: November 9, 2021
- How restricting food stamp choices can fight obesity.The New York Times, 2016 (September 22)https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/upshot/restrictions-on-food-stamp-purchases-can-improve-diets.htmlDate accessed: December 9, 2021
- King: use funding from food stamps, planned parenthood to pay for border wall.CNN. 2017; (July 12)https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/12/politics/steve-king-food-stamps-border-wall-cnntv/index.htmlDate accessed: March 11, 2022
- Nutrition assistance programs: cause or solution to obesity.Curr Obes Rep. 2016; 5: 176-183https://doi.org/10.1007/s13679-016-0207-x
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and child weight status: a review.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 56: 882-893https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.01.006
- SNAP Matters: How Food Stamps Affect Health and Well-Being.Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA2015 (. ISBN 978-0-8047-9687-3)
- Differences in the neighborhood retail food environment and obesity among U.S. children and adolescents by SNAP participation.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 1063-1071https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22184
- Associations of food stamp participation with dietary quality and obesity in children.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 463-472https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-0889
- Do additional SNAP benefits matter for child weight?: evidence from the 2009 benefit increase.Econ Hum Biol. 2021; 41100966https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2020.100966
- Low-income Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participation is related to adiposity and metabolic risk factors.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 17-24https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.111.012294
- The impact of long-term participation in the supplemental nutrition assistance program on child obesity.Health Econ. 2012; 21: 386-404https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1714
- SNAP participation in preschool-aged children and prevalence of overweight and obesity.J Sch Health. 2012; 82: 548-552https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2012.00735.x
- The interactive role of SNAP participation and residential neighborhood in childhood obesity.J Child Pover. 2020; 26: 167-189https://doi.org/10.1080/10796126.2020.1826246
- Federal food policy and childhood obesity: a solution or part of the problem?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 411-418https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2009.0731
- Long-term food stamp program participation is differentially related to overweight in young girls and boys.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 372-379https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/134.2.372
Early childhood longitudinal program (ECLS) - kindergarten class of 2010–11 (ECLS-K:2011). National Center for Education Statistics. https://nces.ed.gov/ecls/kindergarten2011.asp. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among U.S. children and adolescents, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 483-490https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.40
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participation and health care expenditures among low-income adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1642-1649https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.4841
Early childhood longitudinal program (ECLS) - Data Collection Instruments. National Center for Education Statistics. https://nces.ed.gov/ecls/instruments2011.asp. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- Early childhood longitudinal study, kindergarten class of 2010–11 (ECLS-K:2011): user’s manual for the ECLS-K:2011 kindergarten–fifth grade data file and electronic codebook, public version.U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Washington, DC2019https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2019/2019051.pdfDate accessed: December 9, 2020
Myatt M, Guevarra E. Package ‘Zscorer’. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/zscorer/zscorer.pdf. Published 2019. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017https://www.R-project.org/(Published)Date accessed: March 11, 2022
- Guide to measuring household food security.Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service, Washington, DC: U.S2000https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/38369/PDFDate accessed: December 9, 2020
- Marginal structural models to estimate the causal effect of zidovudine on the survival of HIV-positive men.Epidemiology. 2000; 11: 561-570https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200009000-00012
- Selection bias due to loss to follow up in cohort studies.Epidemiology. 2016; 27: 91-97https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0000000000000409
- Generalizing observational study results: applying propensity score methods to complex surveys.Health Serv Res. 2014; 49: 284-303https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12090
- Tools for selecting working correlation structures when using weighted GEE to model longitudinal survey data.J Surv Stat Methodol. 2021; 9: 141-158https://doi.org/10.1093/jssam/smz048
- Early childhood longitudinal study, kindergarten class of 2010–11 (ECLS-K:2011): user’s manual for the ECLS K:2011: kindergarten-first grade data file and electronic codebook, public version (NCES 2015–078).U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Washington, DC2015https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2015/2015078.pdf(Published April)Date accessed: March 11, 2022
- Identifying the effects of SNAP (food stamps) on child health outcomes when participation is endogenous and misreported.J Am Stat Assoc. 2012; 107: 958-975https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.2012.682828
- School nutrition programs and the incidence of childhood obesity.J Hum Resour. 2010; 45: 640-654https://doi.org/10.3368/jhr.45.3.640
- National School Lunch Program participation and sex differences in body mass index trajectories of children from low-income families.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 346-353https://doi.org/10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.253
- National School Lunch Program participation and child body weight.Eastern Econ J. 2013; 39: 328-345https://doi.org/10.1057/eej.2012.14
- Food insecurity and weight status among U.S. children and families: a review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 166-173https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.10.028
- The effect of the WIC program on the health of newborns.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 1083-1104https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01115.x
- WIC program participation and early childhood overweight.California Center for Population Research, Los Angeles, CA2007https://escholarship.org/uc/item/2kq7h5knDate accessed: March 11, 2022
- Background: revisions to the WIC food package.U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service, Washington, DC2013https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/background-revisions-wic-food-packageDate accessed: March 11, 2022
- WIC food package changes: trends in childhood obesity prevalence.Pediatrics. 2019; 143 (e20182841)https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-2841
- Does the Food Stamp Program cause obesity? A realist review and a call for place-based research.Health Place. 2012; 18: 747-756https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2012.03.002
Basu S, Seligman HK, Gardner C, Bhattacharya J. Ending SNAP subsidies for sugar-sweetened beverages could reduce obesity and type 2 diabetes. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014;33(6):1032‒1039. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.1246.
- Impact of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act on obesity trends.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 1122-1129https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00133
- Nutritional policy changes in the supplemental nutrition assistance program: a microsimulation and cost-effectiveness analysis.Med Decis Making. 2013; 33: 937-948https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X13493971
- Dietary intake and dietary quality of low-income adults in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 977-988https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.040014
- Aligning programs and policies to support food security and public health goals in the United States.Annu Rev Public Health. 2019; 40: 319-337https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040218-044132
U.S. Department of Agriculture. Community eligibility provision. Child nutrition programs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://www.fns.usda.gov/cn/community-eligibility-provision. Published April 19, 2019. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- Association of WIC participation and electronic benefits transfer implementation.JAMA Pediatr. 2021; 175: 609-616https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.6973
Neuberger Z. Streamlining and modernizing WIC enrollment. Washington, DC: Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-assistance/streamlining-and-modernizing-wic-enrollment. Published December 11, 2020. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- The health and nutrition effects of SNAP: selection into the program and a review of the literature on its effects.University of Kentucky Center for Poverty Research, Lexington, KY2014https://uknowledge.uky.edu/ukcpr_papers/8(January 1)Date accessed: March 11, 2022
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. WIC eligibility and coverage rates 2018.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2021https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/eligibility-and-coverage-rates-2018#2Date accessed: January 28, 2022