Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Estimating prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in the United States, 2013-2016.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 1020-1031https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.30297
Viral hepatitis surveillance - United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/statistics/2018surveillance/index.htm. Updated August 7, 2020. Accessed April 9, 2021.
- The impact of direct-acting anti-virals on the hepatitis C care cascade: identifying progress and gaps towards hepatitis C elimination in the United States.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50: 66-74https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.15291
- Restrictions of hepatitis C treatment for substance-using Medicaid patients: cost versus ethics.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 893-899https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303748
Hepatitis C: state of Medicaid access. National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable, Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation. https://stateofhepc.org. Updated January 1, 2022. Accessed July 21, 2021.
- Medicaid drug rebates program notice: assuring Medicaid beneficiaries access to hepatitis C (HCV).Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, HHS, Baltimore, Maryland2015 (https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/prescription-drugs/downloads/rx-releases/state-releases/state-rel-172.pdf. Published November 5, 2015. Accessed June 26, 2021)
- State Medicaid hepatitis C treatment eligibility criteria and use of direct-acting antivirals.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 1618-1620https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cix1062
- Race/ethnicity and insurance status disparities in access to direct acting antivirals for hepatitis C virus treatment.Am J Gastroenterol. 2018; 113: 1329-1338https://doi.org/10.1038/s41395-018-0033-8
- Disparate access to treatment regimens in chronic hepatitis C patients: data from the TRIO network.J Viral Hepat. 2016; 23: 447-454https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12506
- Impact of Insurance and Treatment Regimens on HCV Outcome: longterm follow up study.2017 (Poster Presentation presented at the: IDWeek; San Diego, CA; October 5. https://idsa.confex.com/idsa/2017/webprogram/Paper67081.html. Accessed May 17, 2021)
- Hepatitis C treatment among commercially or Medicaid-insured individuals, 2014-2018.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 61: 716-723https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.05.017
United States District Court Southern District of Florida Miami Division, case no.: 15-cv-61144-RLR, Document 153 Class Action Settlement Final Approval Order and Judgement; 2017. https://www.classaction.org/media/united-healthcare-harvoni-settlement.pdf. Accessed March 25, 2021.
- Two Florida lawsuits win class-action settlements for hepatitis C coverage.Hep. 2017; (December 14. https://www.hepmag.com/article/two-florida-lawsuits-win-classaction-settlements-hepatitis-c-coverage. Accessed March 25, 2021)
- New York insurers to change coverage of hepatitis C drugs.Wall Street Journal. 2016; (April 26. https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-insurers-to-change-coverage-of-hepatitis-c-drugs-1461636001. Accessed February 28, 2019)
- Absolute insurer denial of direct-acting antiviral therapy for hepatitis C: a national specialty pharmacy cohort study.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018; 5ofy076https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofy076
- Tipping the scale - the norms hypothesis and physician behavior.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 810-811https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1510923
- Private payers disagree with Medicare over medical device coverage about half the time.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1376-1382https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0133
Chambers JD, Kim DD, Pope EF, Graff JS, Wilkinson CL, Neumann PJ. Specialty drug coverage varies across commercial health plans in the U.S. Health Aff (Millwood). 2018;37(7):1041‒1047. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1553.
- Evolving payer coverage policies on genomic sequencing tests: beginning of the end or end of the beginning?.JAMA. 2018; 319: 2379-2380https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.4863
- New Medicare coverage policy for next-generation tumor sequencing: a key shift in coverage criteria with broad implications beyond Medicare.JCO Precis Oncol. 2018; 2 (PO.18.00206)https://doi.org/10.1200/PO.18.00206
National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable and the Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation. Hepatitis C: the state of Medicaid access; 2017 National summary report. October. https://stateofhepc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/State-of-HepC_2017_FINAL.pdf. Accessed August 2, 2018.
- DUR meeting minutes.Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Juneau, AL2017 (https://dhss.alaska.gov/dhcs/Documents/pdl/DUR-Meeting-Minutes/DUR_Minutes_20170915.pdf. Published September 15, 2017. Accessed September 16, 2019)
- Legal threats to Connecticut removes HCV restrictions.National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Project, New York, NY2015 (https://www.natap.org/2015/HCV/062315_01.htm. Published 2015. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- State changes hep C medication guidelines, avoids lawsuit.Delaware. 2016; (June 7. https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/health/2016/06/07/state-changes-hep-c-medication-guidelines-avoids-lawsuit/85554396/. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Initial prior authorization request Harvoni.Government of District of Columbia Department of Health Care Finance, Washington, DC2016 (http://www.dc-pbm.com/provider/external/medicaid/dc/doc/en-us/District_Harvoni_PA_Request_Form.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Assessing the past, present, and future of treatment of hepatitis C in the D.C. Medicaid population. ProQuest dissertations & theses global.The George Washington University, Washington, DC2019 (https://www.proquest.com/openview/23f588aaf874c84a72447dc954da30e7/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=18750&diss=y. Published May 19, 2019. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Maine DUR Board Meeting minutes from September 11, 2018.Maine Department of Health and Human Services, Augusta, ME2018 (http://www.mainecarepdl.org/sites/default/files/ghs-files/dur-minutes/2018-10-12/mainedur09112018meetingminutes.approved.pdf. Published August 14, 2018. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- 2017 Joint chairmen's report (p. 87) - report on criteria used for individuals to be eligible for new therapies used for hepatitis C treatment.Maryland Department of Health, Baltimore, MD2018 (https://mmcp.health.maryland.gov/Documents/JCRs/2017/hepcJCRfinal10-17.pdf. Published January 24, 2017. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Expansion of hepatitis C drug coverage in Massachusetts.Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services, Baltimore, MD2016 (https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/expansion-hepatitis-c-drug-coverage-massachusetts. Published July 30, 2016. Accessed September 12, 2021)
- Michigan improves access to hepatitis C Treatment for Medicaid and Healthy Michigan Plan patients - hepatitis C: state of Medicaid access.National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable and the Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation, Washington, DC2021 ([press release]https://stateofhepc.org/news/press-release-michigan-improves-access-to-hepatitis-c-treatment-for-medicaid-and-healthy-michigan-plan-patients/. Published 2021. Accessed May 3, 2021)
- Michigan Medicaid now covers hepatitis C treatment.Hep. March 10, 2016; (https://www.hepmag.com/article/michigan-medicaid-now-covers-hepatitis-c-treatment. Accessed September 12, 2021)
- Minnesota takes step toward broader use of highly-effective hepatitis C treatment.Star Tribune, June 13, 2019 (https://www.startribune.com/with-advisory-panel-s-vote-minnesota-takes-a-step-toward-broader-hepatitis-treatment/511245302/. Accessed September 12, 2021)
- Pharmacy prior authorization information.Mississippi Division of Medicaid, Jackson, MS2016 (https://medicaid.ms.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DOMPriorAuthorizationInstructions.pdf. Published October 3, 2016. Accessed September 11, 2021)
Bough SA. United States district court Western District of Missouri Central Division. JEM. v. Kinkade - Order Denying Motion for Preliminary Injunction. https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/PC-MO-0018-0004.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed September 11, 2021.
- Nebraska improves access to hepatitis C treatment for Medicaid patients.National viral hepatitis roundtable, Washington, DC2021 ([press release]. https://nvhr.org/media/nebraska-improves-access-to-hepatitis-c-treatment-for-medicaid-patients/. Published 2021. Accessed September 12, 2021)
State of New Jersey, Department of Human Services, Division of Medical Assistance & Health Services. 2018 Newsletter: NJ FamilyCare Coverage of Hepatitis C Treatment. https://www.njmmis.com/downloadDocuments/28-11.pdf. Accessed May 3, 2021.
- NEJM Catalyst.February 13, 2019 (https://catalyst.nejm.org/collaborative-chronic-hcv-coverage/. Accessed August 26, 2019)
- New York Medicaid to cover hepatitis C treatment.Times Union, April 27, 2016 (https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Patient-group-presses-state-for-increased-7378967.php. Accessed March 1, 2019)
- North Dakota Medicaid preferred drug list with prior authorization criteria.North Dakota Department of Human Services, Bismarck, ND2018 (http://hidesigns.com/assets/files/ndmedicaid/2018/ND_PDL_2018.5.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Official Website notice: recommendations of drug use review/Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.Oregon Health Authority, Salem, OR2018 (https://www.oregon.gov/oha/HSD/OHP/Therapeutics/recommendations121218.pdf. Published December 12, 2018. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Official Website notice: recommendations of drug use review/Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.Oregon Health Authority, Salem, OR2018 (https://www.oregon.gov/oha/HSD/OHP/Therapeutics/recommendations101818.pdf. Published October 18, 2018. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Pennsylvania's Medicaid eases restrictions on hepatitis C treatment.WHYY. August 17, 2015; (https://whyy.org/articles/pennsylvanias-medicaid-eases-restrictions-on-hepatitis-c-treatment/. Accessed September 12, 2021)
- Long-term disease and economic outcomes of prior authorization criteria for hepatitis C treatment in Pennsylvania Medicaid.Healthc (Amst). 2017; 5: 105-111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hjdsi.2016.11.001
Borkowski R. Health groups upgrade R. I. Hepatitis C Medicaid access to'A-. Providence Bus News. October 29, 2018. https://pbn.com/health-groups-upgrade-r-i-hepatitis-c-medicaid-access-to-a/. Accessed September 12, 2021.
South Carolina Health Connections Medicaid. South Carolina pharmacy services PTM minutes. https://southcarolina.fhsc.com/providers/ptcommittee.asp. Published 2016. Accessed September 16, 2019.
Hirschfeld P, In C Vt. Medicaid Policy could improve access to live-saving hepatitis C treatment. Vermont Public Radio. December 16, 2016. https://www.vpr.org/vpr-news/2016-12-16/change-in-vt-medicaid-policy-could-improve-access-to-live-saving-hepatitis-c-treatment. Accessed September 12, 2021.
Medicaid review board lifts liver damage restriction on life-saving cures for Vermonters with hepatitis C. VTDigger. November 1, 2017.https://vtdigger.org/2017/11/01/medicaid-review-board-lifts-liver-damage-restriction-life-saving-cures-vermonters-hepatitis-c/. Accessed September 12, 2021.
- Washington apple health hepatitis C treatment policy.Washington State Health Care Authority, Olympia, WA2016 (https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WAHCA/bulletins/153d70b. Published July 5, 2016. Accessed September 12, 2021)
- Office of Pharmacy Services Prior Authorization Criteria: SOVALDI® (sofosbuvir).State of West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Medical Services, Charleston, WV2016 (http://dhhr.wv.gov/bms/BMS%20Pharmacy/Documents/Drug%20PA%20Criteria/Sovaldi%20Criteria%20%20v2016%201k.pdf. Published January 1, 2016. Accessed March 21, 2022)
- Tackling hepatitis C in Wisconsin: state strategies case study.HHS, Washington, DC2020 (https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/HCV_Affinity_Group_WI_Case_Study.pdf. Published 2020. Accessed September 11, 2021)
- Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for hepatitis C virus infection in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 349-357https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-159-5-201309030-00672
- Recommendations for the identification of chronic hepatitis C virus infection among persons born during 1945‒1965 [published correction appears in MMWR Recomm Rep. 2012;61(43):886].MMWR Recomm Rep. 2012; 61: 1-32
Barocas JA, Wang J, White LF, et al. Hepatitis C testing increased among Baby Boomers following the 2012 change to CDC testing recommendations. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017;36(12):2142‒2150. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0684.
- Status of state Medicaid expansion decisions: interactive map.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CA2022 (https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/status-of-state-medicaid-expansion-decisions-interactive-map/. Updated April 26, 2022. Accessed May 12, 2022)
Drug overdose deaths. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics.https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/NCHS-Drug-Poisoning-Mortality-by-State-United-Stat/xbxb-epbu. Updated June 4, 2018. Accessed August 9, 2020.
- Eliminating structural barriers: the impact of unrestricted access on hepatitis C treatment uptake among people living with human immunodeficiency virus.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71: 363-371https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz833
- Has access to hepatitis C virus therapy changed for patients with mental health or substance use disorders in the direct-acting-antiviral period?.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 51-63https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.30171
- Screening for hepatitis C virus infection in adolescents and adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2020; 323: 970-975https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.1123
- CDC recommendations for hepatitis C screening among adults - United States, 2020.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2020; 69: 1-17https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.rr6902a1
- The treatment cascade for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in the United States: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9e101554https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0101554
- Modelling the potential prevention benefits of a treat-all hepatitis C treatment strategy at global, regional and country levels: a modelling study.J Viral Hepat. 2019; 26: 1388-1403https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.13187
Medicaid enrollment data collected through MBES. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. https://data.medicaid.gov/dataset/6c114b2c-cb83-559b-832f-4d8b06d6c1b9/data?conditions. Updated June 1, 2020. Accessed June 3, 2021.