Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Obesity and disability: time to act.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 541-545https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2011.07.015
- 2017 Disability statistics annual report.University of New Hampshire Institute on Disability, Durham, NH2021Published January 2018. Accessed September 15)
- Trends in obesity and severe obesity prevalence in U.S. youth and adults by sex and age, 2007-2008 to 2015-2016.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1723-1725https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.3060
- Obesity among adults with disabling conditions.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1265-1268https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.10.1265
- Disparities in obesity and related conditions among Americans with disabilities.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 83-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.02.021
- The changing relationship of obesity and disability, 1988‒2004.JAMA. 2007; 298: 2020-2027https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.17.2020
- Trends in the relationship between obesity and disability, 1988-2012.Am J Epidemiol. 2017; 186: 688-695https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwx092
- Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity among adults: United States, 2017-2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; : 1-8https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db360.htmDate accessed: September 25, 2021
Y Xia, CM Kelton, JJ Guo, B Bian, and PC Heaton. Treatment of obesity: pharmacotherapy trends in the United States from 1999 to 2010. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015;23(8):1721‒1728. https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21136.
- Reasons for underutilization of bariatric surgery: the role of insurance benefit design.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019; 15: 146-151https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2018.10.005
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults.Circulation. 2014; 129 (suppl 2)): S102-S138https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000437739.71477.ee
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery 2018 estimate of metabolic and bariatric procedures performed in the United States.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2020; 16: 457-463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2019.12.022
- Pharmacotherapy for obesity-trends using a population level national database.Obes Surg. 2021; 31: 1105-1112https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-020-04987-2
- Centers for Disease Control and Disease. National Health Interview Survey.National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Disease, Atlanta, GA2019https://doi.org/10.15620/cdc:100685 (Published 2021)
About the Washington Group. The Washington Group on Disability Statistics. https://www.washingtongroup-disability.com/. Updated January 1, 2021. Accessed September 25, 2021.
- Food and Drug Administration’s Obesity Drug Guidance Document: a short history.Circulation. 2012; 125: 2156-2164https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.028381
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Consensus Development Conference Panel.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115 (https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-115-12-956): 956-961
- Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss: an update of the 1997 American Heart Association Scientific Statement on Obesity and Heart Disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism.Circulation. 2006; 113: 898-918https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.171016
Health risks of overweight & obesity. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/adult-overweight-obesity/health-risks. Updated February 1, 2018. Accessed September 22, 2021.
SAS® 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.; 2013. www.sas.com. Accessed May 17, 2021.
- Measuring disability and monitoring the un Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: the work of the Washington Group on Disability Statistics.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11 (suppl): S4https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-S4-S4
- Health disparity in access to bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 249-255https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2020.10.015
- Dangers of diagnostic overshadowing.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 2092-2093https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1903078
- Physical activity participation among persons with disabilities: barriers and facilitators.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 26: 419-425https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.02.002
- Nutrition and adults with intellectual or developmental disabilities: systematic literature review results.Intellect Dev Disabil. 2009; 47: 163-185https://doi.org/10.1352/1934-9556-47.3.163
- The complexity of reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight - the experience from adults with a mobility disability.BMC Obes. 2018; 5: 33https://doi.org/10.1186/s40608-018-0212-6
- Association between perceived discrimination and healthcare-seeking behavior in people with a disability.Disabil Health J. 2018; 11: 93-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2017.04.002
- Weight bias and health care utilization: a scoping review.Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2019; 20: e116https://doi.org/10.1017/S1463423619000227
- Bariatric surgery and intellectual disability: furthering evidence-based practice.Disabil Health J. 2017; 10: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2016.09.005
- US health policy and prescription drug coverage of FDA-approved medications for the treatment of obesity.Int J Obes (Lond). 2018; 42: 495-500https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2017.287
Treat and Reduce Obesity Act of 2021;S596:117th Cong, 1st sess (2021). https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/596/text. Accessed March 15, 2022.
Medicare's criteria for weight loss surgery coverage. Obesity Coverage. https://www.obesitycoverage.com/am-i-covered/check-my-insurance/item/medicaid-s-criteria-for-weight-loss-surgery-coverage. Updated 2020. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Coverage for obesity prevention and treatment services: analysis of Medicaid and state employee health insurance programs.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 1834-1840https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22307
- 2018 Disability status report.Cornell University Yang-Tan Institute on Employment and Disability, 2022 (Published 2020. Accessed March 14, 2022.)
- Health insurance-motivated disability enrollment and the ACA.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: e16https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1208212
- Appropriate body mass index and waist circumference cutoffs for categorization of overweight and central adiposity among Chinese adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1129-1136https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/80.5.1129
Disability and obesity. United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/obesity.html. Updated 2019. Accessed May 17, 2021.
Frequently asked questions. The Washington Group on Disability Statistics. https://www.washingtongroup-disability.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions/. Updated 2021. Accessed March 14, 2022.