Main Outcome Measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Health, United States. 2018.Hyattsville, MD National Center for Health Statistics, 2019 (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus18.pdf. Published Accessed October 19, 2020)
- 2013. Executive summary: Guidelines (2013) for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Obesity Society published by the Obesity Society and American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Based on a systematic review from the The Obesity Expert Panel, 2013.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014; 22: S5-S39https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.20821
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.39
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among U.S. children and adolescents, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 483-490https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.40
- Persistent increase of prevalence of metabolic syndrome among U.S. adults: NHANES III to NHANES 1999-2006.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 216-219https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-0879
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association [published correction appears in Circulation. 2012;125(22):e1002].Circulation. 2012; 125: e2-e220https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e31823ac046
- Prevalence of major cardiovascular risk factors and cardiovascular diseases among Hispanic/Latino individuals of diverse backgrounds in the United States.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1775-1784https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.14517
- Behavioral weight loss interventions to prevent obesity-related morbidity and mortality in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1163-1171https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.13022
Pagoto SL, Schneider KL, Oleski JL, Luciani JM, Bodenlos JS, Whited MC. Male inclusion in randomized controlled trials of lifestyle weight loss interventions. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012;20(6):1234–1239. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.140.
- Gender differences in weight-related attitudes and behaviors among overweight and obese adults in the United States.Am J Mens Health. 2016; 10: 389-398https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988314567223
- Contributions of weight perceptions to weight loss attempts: differences by body mass index and gender.Body Image. 2009; 6: 90-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2008.11.004
- Does perception equal reality? Weight misperception in relation to weight-related attitudes and behaviors among overweight and obese U.S. adults.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 20https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-20
- Trends in racial/ethnic disparities in overweight self-perception among U.S. adults, 1988–1994 and 1999–2008.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 2115-2125https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014002560
- What a man wants: understanding the challenges and motivations to physical activity participation and healthy eating in middle-aged Australian men.Am J Mens Health. 2012; 6: 453-461https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988312444718
- A qualitative investigation of obese men's experiences with their weight.Am J Health Behav. 2011; 35: 458-469https://doi.org/10.5993/ajhb.35.4.8
- Influence of language and culture in the primary care of Spanish-speaking Latino adults with poorly controlled diabetes: a qualitative study.Ethn Dis. 2017; 27: 379-386https://doi.org/10.18865/ed.27.4.379
- Provider perspectives about Latino patients: determinants of care and implications for treatment.Couns Psychol. 2011; 39: 497-526https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000010385012
- Engaging men in weight loss: experiences of men who participated in the male only SHED-IT pilot study.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 5: e169-e266https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2011.03.002
- HOMBRE: a randomized controlled trial to compare two approaches to weight loss for overweight and obese Latino men (Hombres con Opciones para Mejorar el Bienestar y bajar el Riesgo de Enfermedades crónicas; men with choices to improve well-being and decrease chronic disease risk).Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 68: 23-34https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2018.02.019
- Issues in the measurement of acculturation among Hispanics.in: Geisinger KF Psychological Testing of Hispanics. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC1992: 235-251https://doi.org/10.1037/10115-012
- A new measurement of acculturation for Hispanics: the bidimensional Acculturation Scale for Hispanics (BAS).Hisp J Behav Sci. 1996; 18: 297-316https://doi.org/10.1177/07399863960183002
- Comparison of dynamic block randomization and minimization in randomized trials: a simulation study.Clin Trials. 2011; 8: 59-69https://doi.org/10.1177/1740774510391683
- Balance algorithm for cluster randomized trials.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8: 65https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-8-65
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program: a comprehensive model for prevention training and program delivery.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 505-511https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.07.020
- A novel approach to diabetes prevention: evaluation of the Group Lifestyle Balance program delivered via DVD.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010; 90: e60-e63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2010.08.013
- Diabetes Prevention Program Group Lifestyle BalanceTM materials.University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA2017https://www.diabetesprevention.pitt.edu/group-lifestyle-balance-materials/Date accessed: January 11, 2022
- Stages and processes of self-change of smoking: toward an integrative model of change.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1983; 51: 390-395https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-006x.51.3.390
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Obesity Society [published correction appears in Circulation. 2014;129(25)(suppl 2):S139–S140].Circulation. 2014; 129 ((25): S102-S138https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000437739.71477.ee
- A Latino patient-centered, evidence-based approach to diabetes prevention.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 364-374https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.03.170280
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle intervention for weight loss into primary care: a randomized trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 113-121https://doi.org/10.1001/2013.jamainternmed.987
- Physical activity guidelines for Americans.2nd edition. HHS, Washington, DC2018Accessed September 7, 2021)
- Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals: part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans: a statement for professionals from the Subcommittee of Professional and Public Education of the American Heart Association Council on High Blood Pressure Research.Hypertension. 2005; 45: 142-161https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000150859.47929.8e
Heaney CA, Israel BA. Social networks and social support. In: Glanz K, Lewis F, Rimer B, eds. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 2nd ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1997:179–205. https://iums.ac.ir/files/hshe-soh/files/beeduhe_0787996149(1).pdf. Accessed Jan 11, 2022.
- Effectiveness of the U.S. Department of Agriculture 5-step multiple-pass method in assessing food intake in obese and nonobese women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1171-1178https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/77.5.1171
- Accuracy of dietary recall using the USDA five-step multiple-pass method in men: an observational validation study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 595-603https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.01.007
- Assessment of habitual physical activity by a seven-day recall in a community survey and controlled experiments.Am J Epidemiol. 1985; 122: 794-804https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114163
- Reliability and validity of the 7-day Physical Activity Recall interview in a Spanish population.Eur J Sport Sci. 2014; 14: S361-S368https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2012.705332
- Spanish adaptation and psychometric properties of the Sedentary Behaviour Questionnaire for fibromyalgia patients: the al-Andalus study.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2013; 31 (6): S22-S33
EQ-5D user guide. EuroQol Group Executive Office. https://euroqol.org/publications/user-guides/. Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Health-related quality of life measured with EQ-5D in patients treated for depression in primary care.Value Health. 2007; 10: 153-160https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2006.00162.x
- Psychosocial functioning in the obese before and after weight reduction: construct validity and responsiveness of the obesity-related problems scale.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 617-630https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802272
- Validation of the Spanish translation of the questionnaire for the obesity-related problems scale.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 1393-1400https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-009-9800-3
- Validation and utility of a self-report version of PRIME-MD: the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders. Patient Health Questionnaire.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1737-1744https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.18.1737
- Validation and utility of the patient health questionnaire in diagnosing mental disorders in 1003 general hospital Spanish inpatients.Psychosom Med. 2001; 63: 679-686https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-200107000-00021
- Development of short forms from the PROMIS™ sleep disturbance and Sleep-Related Impairment item banks.Behav Sleep Med. 2011; 10: 6-24https://doi.org/10.1080/15402002.2012.636266
Technology adoption. Pew Research Center. http://www.pewhispanic.org/topics/technology-adoption/. Accessed June 7, 2017.
The new Vital sign.https://cdn.pfizer.com/pfizercom/health/2016_nvs_flipbook_spanish_final.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed June 7, 2017.
DiCiccio TJ, Efron B. Bootstrap confidence intervals. Statist Sci. 1996;11(3):189–228. https://doi.org/10.1214/ss/1032280214.
- The SHED-IT randomized controlled trial: evaluation of an Internet-based weight-loss program for men.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 2025-2032https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2009.85
- One-year weight losses in the Look AHEAD study: factors associated with success.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 713-722https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.637
- First versus repeat treatment with a lifestyle intervention program: attendance and weight loss outcomes [published correction appears in Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33(1):182].Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32: 1537-1544https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.134
Ely EK, Gruss SM, Luman ET, et al. A national effort to prevent type 2 diabetes: participant-level evaluation of CDC's National Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Care. 2017;40(10):1331–1341. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-2099.
- Weight loss in underserved patients - a cluster-randomized trial.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 909-918https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2007448
- Effect of a culturally adapted behavioral intervention for Latino adults on weight loss over 2 years: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2027744https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.27744
- The effectiveness of two community-based weight loss strategies among obese, low-income U.S. Latinos.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115 (e2): 537-550https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2014.10.020
- Peer-Assisted Lifestyle (PAL) intervention: a protocol of a cluster-randomised controlled trial of a health-coaching intervention delivered by veteran peers to improve obesity treatment in primary care.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e043013https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-043013
- Food Security Among Hispanic Adults in the United States, 2011–2014.Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2016https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=44083Date accessed: January 11, 2022
- Household food security in the United States in 2017.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2018https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/90023/err-256.pdf(PublishedAccessed XXX)Date accessed: January 11, 2022
- Neighborhood built environment and income: examining multiple health outcomes.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 68: 1285-1293https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.01.017
- Inequality in the built environment underlies key health disparities in physical activity and obesity.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 417-424https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0058
- Availability of physical activity-related facilities and neighborhood demographic and socioeconomic characteristics: a national study.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1676-1680https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.065573
- Health and nutrient content claims in food advertisements on Hispanic and mainstream prime-time television.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 348-354https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2008.01.003
- Frequency and types of foods advertised on Saturday morning and weekday afternoon English- and Spanish-language American television programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 406-413https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2008.05.008
- Protocol for a cluster-randomized controlled trial of a technology-assisted health coaching intervention for weight management in primary care: the GEM (goals for eating and moving) study.Contemp Clin Trials. 2019; 83: 37-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2019.06.005
- Validation of clinic weights from electronic health records against standardized weight measurements in weight loss trials.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2017; 25: 363-369https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21737
Trial Registration: This study is registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov NCT03092960.