Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
How many cancers are linked with HPV each year?. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/statistics/cases.htm. Updated December 13, 2021. Accessed September 3, 2020.
- National, regional, state, and selected local area vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13–17 years - United States, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 1183-1190https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7035a1
- Immunization and infectious diseases.Healthy People 2020, HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health promotion, February 6, 2022https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/immunization-and-infectious-diseases/objectivesDate accessed: June 14, 2022
- Human papillomavirus vaccination: narrative review of studies on how providers’ vaccine communication affects attitudes and uptake.Acad Pediatr. 2018; 18: S23-S27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.09.001
- Provider communication and HPV vaccination: the impact of recommendation quality.Vaccine. 2016; 34: 1187-1192https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2016.01.023
- Providers’ attitudes toward human papillomavirus vaccination in young men: challenges for implementation of 2011 recommendations.Am J Mens Health. 2012; 6: 320-323https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988312438911
- Understanding attitudes toward adolescent vaccination and the decision-making dynamic among adolescents, parents and providers.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 509https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-509
- HPV vaccine decision making in pediatric primary care: a semi-structured interview study.BMC Pediatr. 2011; 11: 74https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2431-11-74
- HPV vaccine hesitancy: findings from a statewide survey of health care providers.J Pediatr Health Care. 2014; 28: 541-549https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2014.05.003
- Effect of training pediatric clinicians in human papillomavirus communication strategies on human papillomavirus vaccination rates: a cluster randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatr. 2021; 175: 901-910https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.0766
- Announcements versus conversations to improve HPV vaccination coverage: a randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20161764https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1764
- Increasing human papillomavirus vaccine initiation among publicly insured Florida adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56: S40-S46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.11.024
- Effectiveness of a provider-focused intervention to improve HPV vaccination rates in boys and girls.Vaccine. 2015; 33: 1223-1229https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.11.021
- Results of a multilevel intervention trial to increase human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine uptake among adolescent girls.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016; 25: 593-602https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-15-1243
- Effect of a health care professional communication training intervention on adolescent human papillomavirus vaccination: a cluster randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatr. 2018; 172e180016https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.0016
- Simple and elaborated clinician reminder prompts for human papillomavirus vaccination: a randomized clinical trial.Acad Pediatr. 2018; 18: S66-S71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.11.002
- Effectiveness of decision support for families, clinicians, or both on HPV vaccine receipt.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 1114-1124https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-3122
- Improving HPV vaccination rates using maintenance-of-certification requirements.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20150675https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-0675
- A content analysis of HPV vaccine online continuing medical education purpose statements and learning objectives.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2019; 15: 1508-1518https://doi.org/10.1080/21645515.2019.1587273
- Technology-enhanced simulation for health professions education: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 306: 978-988https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.1234
- Virtual reality simulation in nontechnical skills training for healthcare professionals: a systematic review.Simul Healthc. 2019; 14: 188-194https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0000000000000347
- A self-administered virtual reality intervention increases COVID-19 vaccination intention.Vaccine. 2021; 39: 6746-6753https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2021.10.004
- Using immersive virtual reality to improve the beliefs and intentions of influenza vaccine avoidant 18-to-49-year-olds: considerations, effects, and lessons learned.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 1225-1233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2019.11.009
- The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance.Psychological Review. 1993; 100: 363-406https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.100.3.363
- A virtual reality curriculum for pediatric residents decreases rates of influenza vaccine refusal.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: 431-435https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.01.010
- Effective virtual patient simulators for medical communication training: a systematic review.Med Educ. 2020; 54: 786-795https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.14152
Unity. https://unity3d.com/unity. Accessed June 14, 2022.
- The influence of provider communication behaviors on parental vaccine acceptance and visit experience.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1998-2004https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302425
- Collaborative patient-provider communication and uptake of adolescent vaccines.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 159: 100-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.04.030
- The architecture of provider-parent vaccine discussions at health supervision visits.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 1037-1046https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-2037
- The effect of provider communication about vaccination on mothers’ willingness to vaccinate their children against HPV and influenza: a randomized trial of illustrated health messaging vignettes.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 58 (S117–S117)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.10.244
- What is motivational interviewing?.Behav Cogn Psychother. 1995; 23: 325-334https://doi.org/10.1017/S135246580001643X
- Provider and parent perspectives on enhanced communication tools for human papillomavirus vaccine-hesitant parents.Acad Pediatr. 2018; 18: 776-782https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2018.05.012
- Usability matters for virtual reality simulations teaching communication.Med Educ. 2020; 54: 1067-1068https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.14314
Academic Pediatric Association and American Academy of Pediatrics in collaboration Kognito™. HPV Vaccine: Same Way Same Day. Apple. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hpv-vaccine-same-way-same-day/id1356847181. Updated March 19, 2018. Accessed June 14, 2022.
- Usability evaluation of the novel smartphone application, HPV vaccine: Same Way, Same Day, among pediatric residents.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 742-749https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2020.11.023
Vorderer P, Wirth W, Gouveia FR, et al. MEC Spatial Presence Questionnaire (MEC- SPQ): short documentation and instructions for application. Report to the European Community, project presence: MEC (IST-2001-37661); 2004. https://academic.csuohio.edu/kneuendorf/frames/MECFull.pdf. Accessed June 14, 2022.
- A virtual reality resident training curriculum on behavioral health anticipatory guidance: development and usability study.JMIR Pediatr Parent. 2021; 4: e29518https://doi.org/10.2196/29518
- Remote virtual reality teaching: closing an educational gap during a global pandemic.Hosp Pediatr. 2021; 11: e258-e262https://doi.org/10.1542/hpeds.2021-005927
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- Summer peaks in uptake of human papillomavirus and other adolescent vaccines in the United States.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016; 25: 274-281https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-15-0574
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2021https://www.r-project.org/Date accessed: August 3, 2019
- Fitting linear mixed-effects models using lme4.J Stat Soft. 2015; 67: 1-48https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v067.i01
- lmerTest package: tests in linear mixed effects models.J Stat Soft. 2017; 82: 1-26https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v082.i13
- ACS elimination statement on HPV cancers.American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GAJuly 2020https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/online-documents/en/pdf/flyers/acs-elimination-statement-on-hpv-cancers.pdf(Accessed June 14, 2022)Date accessed: June 14, 2022
Communicating with Families and Promoting Vaccine Confidence. https://www.aap.org/en/patient-care/immunizations/communicating-with-families-and-promoting-vaccine-confidence/. Updated July 30, 2021. Accessed June 14, 2022.
- For healthcare professionals. November 1, 2021; https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/hcp/index.htmlDate accessed: June 14, 2022
- Improving HPV vaccination rates: a stepped-wedge randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20192737https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-2737
- Pediatrician-parent conversations about human papillomavirus vaccination: an analysis of audio recordings.J Adolesc Health. 2017; 61: 246-251https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.02.006
- Evaluation of HPV vaccine: Same Way, Same DayTM: a pilot study.J Health Commun. 2021; 26: 839-845https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2021.2021459
- A meta-analysis of motivational interviewing interventions for pediatric health behavior change.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2014; 82: 521-535https://doi.org/10.1037/a0035917
- Disparities and reverse disparities in HPV vaccination: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Prev Med. 2019; 123: 197-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.03.037