Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Moving upstream: how interventions that address the social determinants of health can improve health and reduce disparities.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008; 14: S8-S17https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHH.0000338382.36695.42
- Neighborhood of residence and incidence of coronary heart disease.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 99-106https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200107123450205
Heiman HJ, Artiga S. Beyond health care: the role of social determinants in promoting health and health equity. San Francisco, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation.https://www.kff.org/racial-equity-and-health-policy/issue-brief/beyond-health-care-the-role-of-social-determinants-in-promoting-health-and-health-equity/. Published May 10, 2018. Accessed November 7, 2021.
- Association between patient social risk and physician performance scores in the first year of the merit-based incentive payment system.JAMA. 2020; 324: 975-983https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.13129
Phillips RL. OA, Bazemore AW. Adjusting Medicare payments for social risk to better support social needs. Bethesda, MD: HealthAffairs.https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20210526.933567/full/. Published June 1, 2021. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- Adjusting Quality Measures for Social Risk Factors Can Promote Equity In Health Care.Health Aff (Millwood). 2021; 40: 637-644https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.01764
- Social risk adjustment in health care performance measures.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e208020https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.8020
National Quality Forum. Evaluation of the NQF trial period for risk adjustment for social risk factors. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum. https://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2017/07/Social_Risk_Trial_Final_Report.aspx. Published July 18, 2017. Accessed November 11, 2021.
Background: request from congress for a study of social risk factors and Medicare's value-based purchasing programs. Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, HHS. https://aspe.hhs.gov/topics/health-health-care/social-risk-factors-medicares-value-based-purchasing-programs. Updated June 28, 2020. Accessed November 3, 2021.
- Disparities in socioeconomic context and association with blood pressure control and cardiovascular outcomes in ALLHAT.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e012277https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.119.012277
- Socio-economic status and blood pressure: an overview analysis.J Hum Hypertens. 1998; 12: 91-110https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jhh.1000558
- Relation between neighborhood median housing value and hypertension risk among black women in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 718-724https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.074740
- Individual/neighborhood social factors and blood pressure in the RECORD Cohort Study: which risk factors explain the associations?.Hypertension. 2010; 55: 769-775https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.143206
- Hypertension and socioeconomic status.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2008; 23: 335-339https://doi.org/10.1097/HCO.0b013e3283021c70
- Socioeconomic status and cardiovascular outcomes: challenges and interventions.Circulation. 2018; 137: 2166-2178https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.029652
- Contributions of social determinants of health to systolic blood pressure in United States adult immigrants: use of path analysis to validate a conceptual framework.Chronic Illn. 2021; (17423953211000412)https://doi.org/10.1177/17423953211000412
- A systematic approach to analyze the social determinants of cardiovascular disease.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0190960https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0190960
- 2019 AHA/ACC clinical performance and quality measures for adults with high blood pressure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2019; 12e000057https://doi.org/10.1161/HCQ.0000000000000057
Community health center chartbook. National Association of Community Health Centers.https://www.nachc.org/research-and-data/research-fact-sheets-and-infographics/2021-community-health-center-chartbook/. Updated January, 2022. Accessed November 2, 2021.
Payment and delivery reform. National Association of Community Health Centers.https://www.nachc.org/focus-areas/policy-matters/medicaid-and-medicare/payment-and-delivery-reform/. Accessed November 3, 2021.
- Variation in electronic health record documentation of social determinants of health across a national network of community health centers.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: S65-S73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.07.014
- Community vital signs”: incorporating geocoded social determinants into electronic records to promote patient and population health.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016; 23: 407-412https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocv088
- Measures of social deprivation that predict health care access and need within a rational area of primary care service delivery.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 539-559https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01449.x
- The impact of social and clinical complexity on diabetes control measures.J Am Board Fam Med. 2020; 33: 600-610https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2020.04.190367
Jha A. Changing my mind on SES risk adjustment. Boston, MA: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.https://blogs.sph.harvard.edu/ashish-jha/2014/09/29/changing-my-mind-on-ses-risk-adjustment/. Published September 29, 2014. Accessed April 25, 2022.
Jaffery JB, Safran DG. Addressing social risk factors in value-based payment: adjusting payment not performance to optimize outcomes and fairness. Bethesda, MD: HealthAffairs. https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/forefront.20210414.379479/full/. Published April 19, 2021. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- Changes to racial disparities in readmission rates after Medicare's Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program within safety-net and non-safety-net hospitals.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e184154https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.4154
- Medicare payment penalties and safety net hospital profitability: minimal impact on these vulnerable hospitals.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 3495-3506https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12833
- Comparison of community-level and patient-level social risk data in a network of community health centers.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2016852https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.16852
- Racial/ethnic disparities in hypertension prevalence: reconsidering the role of chronic stress.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 117-123https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301395