Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1789-1858https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32279-7
- Impact of 2008 global economic crisis on suicide: time trend study in 54 countries.BMJ. 2013; 347: f5239https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5239
- Epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcoholism and Related Conditions.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 1097-1106https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.62.10.1097
World Health Organization. Depression. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs369/en/. Published 2016. Accessed June 1, 2021.
- Trends in depression prevalence in the USA from 2005 to 2015: widening disparities in vulnerable groups.Psychol Med. 2018; 48: 1308-1315https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291717002781
- Age, period, and cohort trends in mood disorder indicators and suicide-related outcomes in a nationally representative dataset, 2005–2017.J Abnorm Psychol. 2019; 128: 185-199https://doi.org/10.1037/abn0000410
- Trends of depression and anxiety during massive civil unrest and COVID-19 in Hong Kong, 2019–2020.J Psychiatr Res. 2021; 145: 77-84https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2021.11.037
Ettman CK, Cohen GH, Abdalla SM, et al. Persistent depressive symptoms during COVID-19: a national, population-representative, longitudinal study of U.S. adults. Lancet Reg Health Am. 2022;5:100091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lana.2021.100091.
- Impact of the COVID-19 lockdown on psychological health and nutritional habits in Italy: results from the #PRESTOinsieme study.BMJ Open. 2022; 12e048916https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-048916
- Protecting youth mental health: the U.S. Surgeon General’s advisory.Office of the Surgeon General, HHS, Washington, DC: U.S.2021Accessed September 1, 2022)
- Estimating remission from untreated major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2013; 43: 1569-1585https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291712001717
- Prevalence of depression by race/ethnicity: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 998-1000https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.047225
- Prevalence, treatment, and control of depressive symptoms in the United States: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2005–2008.J Am Board Fam Med. 2011; 24: 33-38https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2011.01.100121
- Comparative efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs for the acute treatment of adults with major depressive disorder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1357-1366https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32802-7
- Depression care in the United States: too little for too few.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 37-46https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2009.168
- Racial and ethnic disparity in major depressive disorder.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2016; 3: 692-705https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-015-0188-6
- Continuity of antidepressant treatment for adults with depression in the United States.Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163: 101-108https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.163.1.101
- Disparities in the adequacy of depression treatment in the United States.Psychiatr Serv. 2004; 55: 1379-1385https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.55.12.1379
Brusie C. A mind of her own: 7 famous women helping to #endthestigma of mental illness. Healthline.September 9, 2018. https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-illness-celebrities. Accessed April 21, 2022.
Cooper A. A conversation Starater. Bring Change to Mind. May 23, 2021. https://bringchange2mind.org/conversations. Accessed April 22, 2022.
- 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health Codebook.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, HHS, Rockville, MD2020
- Comparison of NSDUH mental health data and methods with other data sources.CBHSQ Data Review. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (U.S.), Rockville, MDFebruary 2012Accessed September 1, 2022)
- National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent supplement (NCS-A): I. Background and measures.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009; 48: 367-379https://doi.org/10.1097/CHI.0b013e31819996f1
- Trends in anxiety among adults in the United States, 2008–2018: rapid increases among young adults.J Psychiatr Res. 2020; 130: 441-446https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2020.08.014
- National trends in mental health care for U.S. adolescents.JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; 77: 703-714https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2020.0279
- National trends in the prevalence and treatment of depression in adolescents and young adults.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20161878https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1878
- Mental health, educational, and social role outcomes of adolescents with depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 225-231https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.59.3.225
- Consequences and correlates of adolescent depression.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002; 156: 1009-1014https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.156.10.1009
- Growth and distribution of child psychiatrists in the United States: 2007–2016.Pediatrics. 2019; 144https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1576
Patient-centered mental health in pediatric primary care. The REACH Institute.https://www.thereachinstitute.org/services/for-primary-care-practitioners/primary-pediatric-psychopharmacology-1. Accessed June 6, 2021.
- Integrating mental health in safety-net primary care: a five-year observational study on visits in a county health system.Med Care. 2021; 59: 975-979https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001637
- A roadmap for institutionalizing collaborative care for depression in a large integrated healthcare system.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 839-848https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-06102-8
- Integrated behavioral health role in helping pediatricians find long term mental health interventions with the use of assessments.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2021; 68: 685-705https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2021.02.006
- Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2064-2074https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.16.2064
- Efficacy of adolescent suicide prevention e-learning modules for gatekeepers: a randomized controlled trial.JMIR Ment Health. 2016; 3: e8https://doi.org/10.2196/mental.4614
World Health Organization. Public health action for the prevention of suicide: a framework. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/104057/retrieve. Published 2012. Accessed September 1, 2022.
- The epidemiology of major depression and ethnicity in the United States.J Psychiatr Res. 2010; 44: 1043-1051https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.03.017