Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Discrimination in America: Experiences and Views of LGBTQ Americans.Harvard University, Boston, MANovember 2017https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/2017/11/NPR-RWJF-HSPH-Discrimination-LGBTQ-Final-Report.pdfDate accessed: July 17, 2022
- Cancer screening considerations and cancer screening uptake for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2018; 34: 37-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2017.12.001
- Experiences of lesbians in the health care environment.Women Health. 2001; 34: 45-62https://doi.org/10.1300/J013v34n01_04
- Utilization of LGBT-specific clinics and providers across three cohorts of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people in the United States.SSM Popul Health. 2019; 9100505https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2019.100505
- For LGBTQ patients, high-quality care in a welcoming environment.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 736-739https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00345
Giano Z, Hubach RD, Meyers HJ, et al. Assessing the health care experiences of rural men who have sex with men (MSM). J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2020;31(1):235–248. https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2020.0020.
- Advancing health equity for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people through sexual health education and LGBT-affirming health care environments.Sex Health. 2017; 14: 119-122https://doi.org/10.1071/SH16145
- Lesbian, gay, Bisexual, and transgender-related content in undergraduate medical education.JAMA. 2011; 306: 971-977https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.1255
- Oncologists’ experiences caring for LGBTQ patients with cancer: qualitative analysis of items on a national survey.Patient Educ Couns. 2021; 104: 871-876https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2020.09.022
- Finding the perfect doctor: identifying lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender-competent physicians.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1114-1119https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302448
- Is the lack of specific lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) health care education in Medical School a cause for concern? Evidence from a survey of knowledge and practice among UK medical students.J Homosex. 2017; 64: 367-381https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2016.1190218
- Physician awareness of sexual orientation and preventive health recommendations to men who have sex with men.Sex Transm Dis. 2011; 38: 63-67https://doi.org/10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181ebd50f
- A qualitative study examining young adults’ experiences of disclosure and nondisclosure of LGBTQ identity to health care providers.J Homosex. 2017; 64: 1390-1410https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2017.1321379
- Nondisclosure of sexual orientation to a physician among a sample of gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1248-1254https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.160.12.1248
- Trust in the doctor-patient Relationship Enhances Well-being and Life Satisfaction among Older LGBTQ People.Innov Aging. 2018; 2: 123https://doi.org/10.1093/geroni/igy023.451
- Original research: physician-patient relationships among the lesbian and gay community.J Gay Lesbian Med Assoc. 2001; 5: 87-93https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011648707507
- Patterns and predictors of disclosure of sexual orientation to healthcare providers among lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals.Sex Res Social Policy. 2013; 10: 35-42https://doi.org/10.1007/s13178-012-0105-2
- Social support, self-rated health, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender identity disclosure to cancer care providers.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2015; 42: 44-51https://doi.org/10.1188/15.ONF.44-51
- Physicians don't ask, sometimes patients tell: disclosure of sexual orientation among women with breast carcinoma.Cancer. 2004; 101: 1882-1889https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20563
- LGBTQ. LGBTQ+ Affirming care may increase awareness and understanding of undetectable = untransmittable among midlife and older gay and bisexual men in the U.S. south.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 10534https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710534
- The relationship between “leader in LGBT healthcare equality” designation and hospitals’ patient experience scores.J Healthc Manag. 2020; 65: 366-377https://doi.org/10.1097/JHM-D-19-00177
- Gay and lesbian patients with cancer.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2009; 36: 203-207https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.203-207
- Gay and lesbian patients with cancer.in: Mulhall JP Incrocci L Goldstein I Rosen R Cancer and Sexual Health. Current Clinical Urology. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ2011: 397-403https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-60761-916-1_26
- Palliative and end-of-life care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) cancer patients and their caregivers.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2018; 34: 60-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2017.12.003
- Improving health care for the lesbian and gay communities.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 895-897https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp058259
- Sexual and gender minority health: what we know and what needs to be done.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 989-995https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.127811
- Patterns of healthcare discrimination among transgender help-seekers.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 58: e123-e131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.11.002
- Relationship between disclosure of same-sex sexual activity to providers, HIV diagnosis and sexual health services for men who have sex with men in Vancouver, Canada.Can J Public Health. 2014; 105: e186-e191https://doi.org/10.17269/cjph.105.4212
- Young Men's disclosure of same sex behaviors to healthcare providers and the impact on health: results from a U.S. national sample of young men who have sex with men.AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017; 31: 342-347https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2017.0011
- Disclosure of sexual orientation and uptake of HIV testing and hepatitis vaccination for rural men who have sex with men.Ann Fam Med. 2016; 14: 155-158https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1907
- A qualitative investigation of healthcare engagement among young adult gay men in New York City: a P18 cohort substudy.LGBT Health. 2018; 5: 368-374https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2017.0015
Koehler A, Strauss B, Briken P, Szuecs D, Nieder TO. Centralized and decentralized delivery of transgender health care services: a systematic review and a global expert survey in 39 countries. Front Endocrinol. 2021;12:717914. https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2021.717914.
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) physicians’ experiences in the workplace.J Homosex. 2011; 58: 1355-1371https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2011.614902
- Survivorship care needs among LGBT cancer survivors.J Psychosoc Oncol. 2018; 36: 393-405https://doi.org/10.1080/07347332.2018.1447528
- Health disparities among lesbian, gay, and bisexual older adults: results from a population-based study.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 1802-1809https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2012.301110
- The cascading effects of marginalization and pathways of resilience in attaining Good Health among LGBT older adults.Gerontologist. 2017; 57: S72-S83https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnw170
- Disparities in health and disability among older adults in same-sex cohabiting relationships.J Aging Health. 2015; 27: 432-453https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264314551332
- Physical and mental health of transgender older adults: an at-risk and underserved population.Gerontologist. 2014; 54: 488-500https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnt021
- A review of minority stress as a risk factor for cognitive decline in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) elders.J Gay Lesbian Ment Health. 2020; 24: 2-19https://doi.org/10.1080/19359705.2019.1644570
- Substance use to cope with stigma in healthcare among U.S. female-to-male trans masculine adults.LGBT Health. 2015; 2: 324-332https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2015.0001
- Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Issues and Research Gaps and Opportunities. The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: building a foundation for a better understanding.National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2011https://doi.org/10.17226/13128
- The LGBT divide: a data portrait of LGBT people in the midwestern, mountain & southern states.The Williams Institute, Washington, DCDecember 2014https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/LGBT-Divide-Dec-2014.pdfDate accessed: July 17, 2022
Equality maps: healthcare laws and policies. Movement Advancement Project.https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/healthcare_laws_and_policies. Updated 22 June 2022. Accessed 20 July 2022.
Household pulse survey data tables. U.S. Census Bureau.https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/household-pulse-survey/data.html. Updated 20 October 2021. Accessed July 7, 2022.
A and B recommendations. United States Preventive Services Task Force. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation-topics/uspstf-and-b-recommendations. Updated May 2021. Accessed March 24, 2022.
Hughes L, Shireman TI, Hughto J. Privately insured transgender people are at elevated risk for chronic conditions compared with cisgender counterparts. Health Aff (Millwood). 2021;40(9):1440–1448. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2021.00546.
- Chronic health conditions and key health indicators among lesbian, gay, and bisexual older U.S. adults, 2013–2014.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1332-1338https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303922
- Estimating the relative risk in cohort studies and clinical trials of common outcomes.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 157: 940-943https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg074
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh090
- Mental health outcomes in transgender and nonbinary youths receiving gender-affirming care.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e220978https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.0978
- Pubertal suppression for transgender youth and risk of suicidal ideation.Pediatrics. 2020; 145e20191725https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1725
- Hormonal treatment in young people with gender dysphoria: a systematic review.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20173742https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-3742
- Young adult psychological outcome after puberty suppression and gender reassignment.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: 696-704https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-2958
- The effects of hormonal gender affirmation treatment on mental health in female-to-male transsexuals.J Gay Lesbian Ment Health. 2011; 15: 281-299https://doi.org/10.1080/19359705.2011.581195
- HIV in the Southern United States. 2019; 29: 1-4https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/policies/cdc-hiv-in-the-south-issue-brief.pdfDate accessed: July 17, 2022
Healthcare equality index 2020. Human Rights Campaign. https://reports.hrc.org/healthcare-equality-index-2020. Accessed November 22, 2022.
Colorectal cancer screening: cancer trends progress report. National Cancer Institute. https://progressreport.cancer.gov/detection/colorectal_cancer. Updated April 2022. Accessed July 13, 2022.
- Does diversity matter for health? Experimental evidence from Oakland.Am Econ Rev. 2019; 109: 4071-4111https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20181446
- At the intersection of sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, and cervical cancer screening: assessing Pap test use disparities by sex of sexual partners among black, Latina, and white U.S. women.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 116: 110-118https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.06.039
- Optimizing gender-affirming medical care through anatomical inventories, clinical decision support, and population health management in electronic health record systems.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2021; 28: 2531-2535https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocab080
- Barriers to HIV testing–where next?.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1186-1187https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11291-8
- HIV testing in non-traditional settings - the HINTS study: a multi-centre observational study of feasibility and acceptability.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e39530https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0039530
- Factors associated with colon cancer screening: the role of patient factors and physician counseling.Prev Med. 2005; 41: 23-29https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.11.004
- Acceptability of two colorectal cancer screening tests: pain as a key determinant in sigmoidoscopy.Endoscopy. 2017; 49: 1075-1086https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0043-117400
- A taxonomy of identity safety cues based on gender and race: from a promising past to an intersectional and translational future.Transl Issues Psychol Sci. 2021; 7: 487-510https://doi.org/10.1037/tps0000304
- Cancer diagnoses among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults: results from the 2013–2016 National Health Interview Survey.Cancer Causes Control. 2018; 29: 845-854https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-018-1060-x
- Still Out, Still Aging: The Metlife Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Baby Boomers.MetLife, Westport, CT2010https://www.asaging.org/sites/default/files/files/mmi-still-out-still-aging.pdfDate accessed: July 20, 2022
Creating an LGBTQ-friendly practice. American Medical Association. https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/population-care/creating-lgbtq-friendly-practice. Updated 2021. Accessed 8 August 2022.
- Sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in clinical settings and in electronic health records: a key to ending LGBT health disparities.LGBT Health. 2014; 1: 34-41https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2013.0001
Gay & Lesbian Medical Association. Guidelines for care of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender patients. San Francisco, CA: Gay & Lesbian Medical Association. https://www.glma.org/_data/n_0001/resources/live/Welcoming%20Environment.pdf. Published 2006. Accessed July 15, 2022.
- Creating a culturally competent clinical environment for LGBT patients.J Gay Lesbian Soc Serv. 2011; 23: 376-394https://doi.org/10.1080/10538720.2011.589254
- Creating welcoming spaces for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) patients: an evaluation of the health care environment.J Homosex. 2016; 63: 387-393https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2016.1124694
- Developing standards for cultural competency training for health care providers to care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual persons: consensus recommendations from a national panel.LGBT Health. 2022; 9: 340-347https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2021.0464
- Assessing the LGBT cultural competency of dementia care providers.Alzheimers Dement (N Y). 2021; 7: e12137https://doi.org/10.1002/trc2.12137
- A survey of nursing students’ knowledge of and attitudes toward LGBT health care concerns.Nurs Educ Perspect. 2015; 36: 176-178https://doi.org/10.5480/13-1223
- The prevalence of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health education and training in emergency medicine residency programs: what do we know?.Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21: 608-611https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12368
- Patient-physician gender concordance and increased mortality among female heart attack patients.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018; 115: 8569-8574https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1800097115
- Is doctor-patient race concordance associated with greater satisfaction with care?.J Health Soc Behav. 2002; 43: 296-306https://doi.org/10.2307/3090205
- Association of surgeon-patient sex concordance with postoperative outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 146-156https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2021.6339
- Individual and systemic barriers to health care: perspectives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender adults.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2017; 87: 714-728https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000306
- Disparities in health insurance coverage and access to care for children by mother's sexual orientation.Matern Child Health J. 2020; 24: 630-639https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-019-02857-7