Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Racial/ethnic disparities in chronic diseases of youths and access to health care in the United States.Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013787616https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/787616
- The pooled cohort risk equations-Black risk matters.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 12-14https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2015.0323
- Race-based medicine in the point-of-care clinical resource UpToDate: a systematic content analysis.EClinicalMedicine. 2022; 52101581https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2022.101581
- AAPA statement on race and racism.Am J Phys Anthropol. 2019; 169: 400-402https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.23882
- Racial profiling in medical research.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1392-1393https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200105033441810
- Family physicians’ beliefs about genetic contributions to racial/ethnic and gender differences in health and clinical decision-making.Community Genet. 2008; 11: 352-358https://doi.org/10.1159/000133307
- Physician knowledge of human genetic variation, beliefs about race and genetics, and use of race in clinical decision-making [published correction appears in J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019;6(3):647–648].J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019; 6: 110-116https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-018-0505-y
- A unifying approach for GFR estimation: recommendations of the NKF-ASN task force on reassessing the inclusion of race in diagnosing kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2021; 32: 2994-3015https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2021070988
- From race-based to race-conscious medicine: how anti-racist uprisings call us to act.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1125-1128https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32076-6
- What's wrong with race-based medicine?: genes, drugs, and health disparities.Minn J Law Sci Techol. 2011; 12 (Accessed October 11, 2022.): 1-21
- Misrepresenting race - the role of medical schools in propagating physician bias.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 872-878https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2025768
Race based medicine. AAFP. https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/racebased-medicine.html. Accessed April 13, 2022.
- AAP perspective: race-based medicine.Pediatrics. 2021; 148e2021053829https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2021-053829
- New ways and means report probes the misuse of race in clinical algorithms.Ways and Means Committee, Washington, DC2021 (Published October 14. Accessed April 13, 2022.)https://waysandmeans.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/new-ways-and-means-report-probes-misuse-race-clinical-algorithms
- Genes, race, and culture in clinical care: racial profiling in the management of chronic illness.Med Anthropol Q. 2013; 27: 253-271https://doi.org/10.1111/maq.12026
- Race and genetic ancestry in medicine – a time for reckoning with racism.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 474-480https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2029562
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30569-X
- Toward the elimination of race-based medicine: replace race with racism as preeclampsia risk factor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022; 227: 593-596https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2022.05.048
CAFM Educational Research Alliance (CERA). Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. https://www.stfm.org/Research/CERA. Accessed April 13, 2022.
- Physicians’ knowledge, beliefs, and use of race and human genetic variation: new measures and insights.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 456https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-14-456
- Physicians’ anxiety due to uncertainty and use of race in medical decision making.Med Care. 2014; 52: 728-733https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000157
- Nurses’ use of race in clinical decision making.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2016; 48: 577-586https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12251
- A comparison of physicians’ and nurse practitioners’ use of race in clinical decision-making.Ethn Dis. 2019; 29: 1-8https://doi.org/10.18865/ed.29.1.1
Bonham VL, Umeh NI, Cunningham BA, Abdallah KE, Sellers SL, Cooper LA. Primary care physicians’ collection, comfort, and use of race and ethnicity in clinical practice in the United States. Health Equity. 2017;1(1):118–126. https://doi.org/10.1089/heq.2017.0015.
- Colorblind racial ideology and physician use of race in medical decision-making.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2022; 9: 2019-2026https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-021-01141-1
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 16.StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2019
- Racialized risk in clinical care: clinician vigilance and patient responsibility.Med Anthropol. 2019; 38: 224-238https://doi.org/10.1080/01459740.2018.1476508
- Is race medically relevant? A qualitative study of physicians’ attitudes about the role of race in treatment decision-making.BMC Health Serv Res. 2011; 11: 183https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11-183
- Don't Talk to Them About Goals of Care”: understanding disparities in advance care planning.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2022; 77: 339-346https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glab091
- Hidden in plain sight - reconsidering the use of race correction in clinical algorithms.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 874-882https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2004740
- Counseling regarding approach to delivery after Cesarean and the use of a vaginal birth after Cesarean calculator.The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington, DC2021 (Published December. Accessed October 11, 2022.)https://www.acog.org/en/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-advisory/articles/2021/12/counseling-regarding-approach-to-delivery-after-cesarean-and-the-use-of-a-vaginal-birth-after-cesarean-calculator
- Challenging the use of race in the vaginal birth after Cesarean section calculator.Womens Health Issues. 2019; 29: 201-204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2019.04.007
- Increasing family medicine faculty diversity still lags population trends.J Am Board Fam Med. 2017; 30: 100-103https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2017.01.160211
- New AMA policies recognize race as a social, not biological, construct.American Medical Association, Chicago, IL2020 (Published November 16. Accessed May 30, 2022.)https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/new-ama-policies-recognize-race-social-not-biological-construct
- From mastery to accountability: cultural humility as an alternative to cultural competence.Soc Work Educ. 2015; 34: 165-181https://doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2014.977244
- Cultural humility versus cultural competence: a critical distinction in defining physician training outcomes in multicultural education.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 1998; 9: 117-125https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2010.0233