Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Health US Department, Services Human, others. The Health Consequences of Smoking-50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2014.
- Smoke-free air policies: past, present and future.Tob Control. 2012; 21: 154-161https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050389
- Smoke-free and tobacco-free colleges and universities in the United States.Tob Control. 2020; 29: 289-294
- Smoke-free policies in US Prisons and jails: A review of the literature.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 17: 629-635https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu225
- Use of a population-based survey to describe the health of Boston public housing residents.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 85-91https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.094912
- Cigarette smoking and adverse health outcomes among adults receiving federal housing assistance.Prev Med. 2017; 99: 171-177https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.02.001
- The experience with smoke-free policies in affordable multiunit housing in North Carolina: a statewide survey.Am J Health Promot. 2016; 30: 382-389https://doi.org/10.1177/0890117116646346
HUD. Instituting smoke-free public housing. Proposed Rule 24 CFR Parts 965 and 966. 2015.
- A statewide assessment of smoke-free policy in multiunit housing settings.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: 1593-1598https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu114
- A systematic examination of smoke-free policies in multiunit dwellings in Virginia as reported by property managers: implications for prevention.Am J Health Promot. 2011; 26: 37-44https://doi.org/10.4278/ajhp.091005-QUAN-329
- Prevalence and predictors of smoke-free policy implementation and support among owners and managers of multiunit housing.Nicotine Tob Res. 2010; 12: 159-163https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp175
- Secondhand smoke in apartment buildings: renter and owner or manager perspectives.Nicotine Tob Res. 2007; 9: S39-S47https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200601083442
- Perceptions about the federally mandated smoke-free housing policy among residents living in public housing in New York City.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15: 2062https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15102062
- Home foreclosure, health, and mental health: a systematic review of individual, aggregate, and contextual associations.PloS One. 2015; 10e0123182https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0123182
- Implementation of a smoke-free policy in subsidized multiunit housing: effects on smoking cessation and secondhand smoke exposure.Nicotine Tob Res. 2012; 14: 1027-1034https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntr334
- Correlates of smoke-free housing policies and interest in implementing policies among multiunit housing owners in New York City.J Urban Health. 2015; 92: 291-303https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-014-9934-z
- A qualitative study of the process of adoption, implementation and enforcement of smoke-free policies in privately owned affordable housing.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1071https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7404-y
- Smoke-free multiunit housing: a review of the scientific literature.Tob Control. 2016; 25: 9-20
- Delivering on the promise of smokefree public housing.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 380-383https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303606
- Helms Veronica E. NCHS-HUD linked data: analytic considerations and guidelines National Center for Health Statistics.Office of Analysis and Epidemiology. 2016;
Hopkins M. Tobacco Control Laws Database: A Tool for Researchers American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation- no-smoke. org. 2018.
Klein John P, Moeschberger Melvin L. Survival analysis: techniques for censored and truncated data. Springer 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/b97377.
State & Federal Public Housing. Units Per Local Housing Authority, By Program. https://www.mass.gov/doc/local-housing-authority-unit-counts-by-program-listing/download.
Special Commission on Rural Access and Improving State-Sponsored Services in Massachusetts Rural Communities. Report to the Great and General Court and Executive Office of the Governor. https://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/625657. Published 2013.
- A simple method to calculate the confidence interval of a standardized mortality ratio (SMR).Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 131: 373-375https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115507
- A hazard rate analysis of leavers and stayers in assisted housing programs.Cityscape. 2005; 8: 69-93
- Evaluating length of stay in assisted housing programs: A methodological note.Cityscape. 2007; 9: 217-238
- The dynamics of housing assistance spells.J Urban Econ. 1996; 39: 193-208https://doi.org/10.1006/juec.1996.0010
- Time-to-event analysis of longitudinal follow-up of a survey: choice of the time-scale.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 72-80https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009034
- A tutorial on multilevel survival analysis: methods, models and applications.Int Stat Rev. 2017; 85: 185-203https://doi.org/10.1111/insr.12214
Therneau Terry M. Mixed Effects Cox Models [R package coxme version 2.2-16] 2020.
- Lash Timothy L, others. Modern Epidemiology.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008
Hern'andez Diana, Swope Carolyn B, Azuogu Cindi, Siegel Eva, Giovenco Daniel P. 'If I pay rent, I'm gonna smoke': insights on the social contract of smokefree housing policy in affordable housing settings. Health Place. 2019;56:106-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2019.01.007.
- Plunk Andrew D. A qualitative study of unfairness and distrust in smoke-free housing.Am J Health Behav. 2021; 45: 798-809https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.45.5.1
- Evaluation of secondhand smoke exposure in New York City public housing after implementation of the 2018 federal smoke-free housing policy.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2024385https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.24385
- Increases in secondhand smoke after going smoke-free: an assessment of the impact of a mandated smoke-free housing policy.Nicotine Tob Res. 2020; 22: 2254-2256https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa040
- Long-term Trends in secondhand smoke exposure in high-rise housing serving low-income residents in New York City: Three-Year Evaluation of a federal smoking ban in public housing.Nicotine Tob Res. 2022; : 2018-2021https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntac202
- Length of stay in assisted housing.Cityscape. 2018; 20: 11-38
- Smoking cessation rates in the United States: a comparison of young adult and older smokers.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 317-322https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.112060
- Tobacco product use among adults-United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69 (2019): 1736-1742https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6946a4