Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Liquid medication dosing errors by Hispanic parents: role of health literacy and English proficiency.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: 403-410https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2016.10.001
- Association of limited English proficiency and increased pediatric emergency department revisits.Acad Emerg Med. 2021; 28: 1001-1011https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.14359
- Are language barriers associated with serious medical events in hospitalized pediatric patients?.Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 575-579https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0521
- Association between parent comfort with English and adverse events among hospitalized children.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174e203215https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.3215
- The influence of insurance type on interfacility pediatric emergency department transfers.Am J Emerg Med. 2017; 35: 1907-1909https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2017.07.048
- Association of socioeconomic characteristics with where children receive emergency care.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2022; 38: e264-e267https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0000000000002244
- Disparities in pediatric mortality by neighborhood income in United States emergency departments.J Pediatr. 2020; 219 (e3): 209-215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.09.016
- Socioeconomic status and in-hospital pediatric mortality.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e182-e190https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1215
- Association of insurance status with severity and management in ED Patients with asthma exacerbation.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 22-27https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2015.11.28715
- Disparities in pediatric oncology: the 21st century opportunity to improve outcomes for children and adolescents with cancer.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2021; 41: e315-e326https://doi.org/10.1200/EDBK_320499
- Disparities in health insurance coverage, access, and outcomes for individuals in same-sex versus different-sex relationships, 2000–2007.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 489-495https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.160804
- Gender, sexuality, and gender nonconformity: understanding variation in functioning.Child Dev Perspect. 2016; 10: 257-262https://doi.org/10.1111/cdep.12194
- Mental health in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2016; 12: 465-487https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-021815-093153
- LGBTQ youth in unstable housing and foster care.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20174211https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-4211
- The science of eliminating health disparities: summary and analysis of the NIH summit recommendations.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: S12-S18https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2010.191619
- Informed consent of subjects who do not speak English.Office for Human Research Protections, HHS, Washington, DC1995https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/guidance/obtaining-and-documenting-infomed-consent-non-english-speakers/index.html(Published November 9Accessed September 7, 2021)
- Enhancing the diversity of clinical trial populations—eligibility criteria, enrollment practices, and trial designs guidance for industry.Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD: U.S2020https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/enhancing-diversity-clinical-trial-populations-eligibility-criteria-enrollment-practices-and-trial(Published NovemberAccessed September 7, 2021)
Coordination of sexual and gender minority mental health research at NIMH. NIH.https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/organization/od/odwd/coordination-of-sexual-and-gender-minority-mental-health-research-at-nimh. Accessed August 31, 2021.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Healthy People 2020, HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-transgender-health. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Institute of Medicine (U.S.) Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Issues and Research Gaps and Opportunities. The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: building a foundation for better understanding.National Academies Press (U.S), Washington, DC2011PublishedAccessed August 31, 2022)
- Advancing effective communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT): a field guide.The Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, IL2014PublishedAccessed August 31, 2021)
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Understanding the Status and Well-Being of Sexual and Gender Diverse Populations, 2020, National Academies Press; Washington, DC.https://www.nationalacademies.org/our-work/understanding-the-status-and-well-being-of-sexual-and-gender-diverse-populations. Accessed August 31, 2021.
Healthy people 2020 health disparities data widget. HHS.https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlid=93. Updated June 21, 2021. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Caring for children and families with limited English proficiency: current challenges and an agenda for the future.Hosp Pediatr. 2017; 7: 59-61https://doi.org/10.1542/hpeds.2016-0186
- Bridging the gap between clinical research and knowledge translation in pediatric emergency medicine.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 968-977https://doi.org/10.1197/j.aem.2007.05.010
- Diversity inclusion in United States opioid pharmacological treatment trials: a systematic review.Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2021; 29: 524-538https://doi.org/10.1037/pha0000510
- Reporting of participant race, sex, and socioeconomic status in randomized clinical trials in general medical journals, 2015 vs 2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2111516https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.11516
- Ensuring that LGBTQI+ people count - collecting data on sexual orientation, gender identity, and intersex status.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1184-1186https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2032447
- Reporting of participant race and ethnicity in published U.S. pediatric clinical trials from 2011 to 2020.JAMA Pediatr. 2022; 176e220142https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2022.0142
Web of Science. Journal Citation Reports. https://jcr-clarivate-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/JCRLandingPageAction.action. Accessed November 18, 2020.
NIH. NIH's definition of a clinical trial; Published 2017. https://grants.nih.gov/policy/clinical-trials/definition.htm. Accessed January 15, 2021.
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- Language use in the United States: 2019.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2022 (American Community Survey Reports)Published AugustAccessed September 30, 2022)
US Health and Human Services. Section 1557: Ensuring Meaningful Access for Individuals with Limited English Proficiency. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/1557-fs-lep-508.pdf. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Increasing inclusivity in patient centered research begins with language.Prev Med. 2021; 149106621https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2021.106621
U.S. Department of Justice. The president executive order 13166-improving access to services for persons with limited English proficiency department of justice enforcement of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964-national origin discrimination against persons with limited English. Fed Regist. https://www.justice.gov/crt/executive-order-13166. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Nondiscrimination in health and health education programs or activities, delegation of authority.Fed Regist. 2020; 85 (Accessed March 15, 2022): 37160-37248https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/06/19/2020-11758/nondiscrimination-in-health-and-health-education-programs-or-activities-delegation-of-authority
- U.S. Public Health Service STD experiments in Guatemala (1946–1948) and their aftermath.Ethics Hum Res. 2019; 41: 29-34https://doi.org/10.1002/eahr.500010
- More than Tuskegee: understanding mistrust about research participation.J Heal Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 879-897https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.0.0323
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. HHS finalizes rule on section; 1557. Protecting Civil Rights in Healthcare, Restoring the Rule of Law, and Relieving Americans of Billions in Excessive Costs.https://public3.pagefreezer.com/content/HHS.gov/31-12-2020T08:51/https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/06/12/hhs-finalizes-rule-section-1557-protecting-civil-rights-healthcare.html. Accessed March 20, 2022.
- A systematic review of the impact of patient-physician non-English language concordance on quality of care and outcomes.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 1591-1606https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-04847-5
- Insurance status and the care of children in the emergency department.J Pediatr. 2012; 161 (e3): 536-541https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.03.013
- The impact of environmental injustice and social determinants of health on the role of air pollution in asthma and allergic disease in the United States.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021; 148 (e5): 1089-1101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2021.09.018
- Association of county-level poverty and inequities with firearm-related mortality in U.S. youth.JAMA Pediatr. 2022; 176e214822https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.4822
- Community poverty and child abuse fatalities in the United States.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20161616https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-1616
- Neighborhood poverty and child health: investing in communities to improve childhood opportunity and well-being.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: S184-S193https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2021.04.027
- A Health equity implementation approach to child health literacy interventions.Children (Basel). 2022; 9: 1284https://doi.org/10.3390/children9091284
- Risky families: family social environments and the mental and physical health of offspring.Psychol Bull. 2002; 128: 330-366https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.128.2.330
NIH policy on sex as a biological variable. NIH. https://orwh.od.nih.gov/sex-gender/nih-policy-sex-biological-variable. Accessed December 2, 2021.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual adolescents: population estimate and prevalence of health behaviors.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2355-2356https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.11683
- Sexual identity, sex of sexual contacts, and health-related behaviors among students in grades 9–12 - United States and selected sites, 2015.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2016; 65: 1-202https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6509a1
- Prevalence of nonheterosexual identity and same-sex sexual contact among high school students in the U.S. from 2015 to 2019.JAMA Pediatr. 2021; 175: 970-972https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.1109
- Prevalence of gender-diverse youth in an urban school district.Pediatrics. 2021; 147e2020049823https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-049823
BRFSS questionnaire; 2020. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionnaires/pdf-ques/2020-BRFSS-Questionnaire-508.pdf. Accessed December 15, 2021.
Protocol - biological sex assigned at birth. PhenX Toolkit. https://www.phenxtoolkit.org/protocols/view/11601. Accessed December 15, 2021.
Protocol – sexual orientation. PhenX Toolkit. https://www.phenxtoolkit.org/protocols/view/11701. Accessed December 15, 2021.
Cheloff AZ, Jarvie E, Tabaac AR, et al. Sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex development: recommendations for data collection and use in clinical, research, and administrative settings.https://dicp.hms.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/2022-10/SOGI%20Data%20Collection.pdf. Published 2022. Accessed February 11, 2022.
Protocol - social determinants of health collections. PhenX Toolkit. https://www.phenxtoolkit.org/collections/view/6. Accessed October 1, 2021.
- The complexities of assessing language and interpreter preferences in pediatrics.Heal Equity. 2018; 2: 70-73https://doi.org/10.1089/heq.2017.0057