Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Global burden and inequality of dental caries, 1990 to 2019.J Dent Res. 2022; 101: 392-399https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345211056247
- Trends in the burden of untreated caries of permanent teeth in China, 1993–2017: an age-period-cohort modeling study.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 59: 896-903https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.06.012
- The biology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental caries: scientific advances in the United States.J Am Dent Assoc. 2009; 140 (suppl): 25S-34Shttps://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2009.0355
- Achievements in public health, 1900–1999: fluoridation of drinking water to prevent dental caries.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999; 48: 933-940https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4841a1.htmlDate accessed: February 28, 2023
Dye B, Thornton-Evans G, Li X and Iafolla T. Dental caries and tooth loss in adults in the United States, 2011–2012, NCHS Data Brief, (197), 2015, 197. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db197.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2023.
- Oral Health for all—realizing the promise of science.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 809-811https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2118478
- Towards an understanding of the structural determinants of oral health inequalities: a comparative analysis between Canada and the United States.SSM Popul Health. 2016; 2: 226-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2016.03.009
- A tale of two safety nets.J Am Dent Assoc. 2014; 145: 83-85https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.2013.39
- A decade in dental care utilization among adults and children (2001–2010).Health Serv Res. 2014; 49: 460-480https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12130
- Oral health problems are global and need to be addressed in the USA.Lancet. 2022; 399: 127-128https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)02842-7
- Burden of oral disease among older adults and implications for public health priorities.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 411-418https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300362
NIH, Oral health in America: advances and challenges, 2021, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research; Bethesda, MD, HHS. https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/sites/default/files/2021-12/Oral-Health-in-America-Advances-and-Challenges.pdf. Accessed November 2, 2022.
- Disparities in access to oral health care.Annu Rev Public Health. 2020; 41: 513-535https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040119-094318
- Guidelines for accurate and transparent health estimates reporting: the GATHER statement.Lancet. 2016; 388: e19-e23https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30388-9
Global burden of disease Study 2019 (GBD 2019) results. Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. http://ghdx.healthdata.org/gbd-results-tool. Updated February 24, 2023. Accessed September 30, 2022.
- Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1223-1249https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30752-2
- Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396 ([published correction appears in Lancet. 2020;396(10262):1562]): 1204-1222https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30925-9
- Global age-sex-specific fertility, mortality, healthy life expectancy (HALE), and population estimates in 204 countries and territories, 1950–2019: a comprehensive demographic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1160-1203https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30977-6
- Global, regional, and national burden of severe periodontitis, 1990–2019: an analysis of the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.J Clin Periodontol. 2021; 48: 1165-1188https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.13506
- A new method to attribute differences in total deaths between groups to population size, age structure and age-specific mortality rate.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0216613https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216613
- Population ageing and mortality during 1990–2017: a global decomposition analysis.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003138https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003138
- Estimating average annual per cent change in trend analysis.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3670-3682https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3733
- Health Equity Assessment Toolkit (HEAT): software for exploring and comparing health inequalities in countries.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016; 16: 141https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-016-0229-9
Oral health in America: a report of the Surgeon General, J Calif Dent Assoc. 2000;28(9):685–695. https://www.cda.org/Portals/0/journal/journal_092000.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2023.
- Fertility, mortality, migration, and population scenarios for 195 countries and territories from 2017 to 2100: a forecasting analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1285-1306https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30677-2
- Dental care presents the highest level of financial barriers, compared to other types of health care services.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 2176-2182https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0800
Paradise J, Lyons B, Rowland D. Medicaid at 50. San Francisco, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation. https://www.kff.org/medicaid/report/medicaid-at-50/. Published May 6, 2015. Accessed November 2, 2022.
- Is it finally time for a Medicare dental benefit?.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: e80https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2115048
- A call for action to improve US oral health care.J Am Dent Assoc. 2020; 151: 73-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2019.12.003
Annual report. America's Health Rankings United Health Foundation. https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/measure/dental/state/AZ. Updated February 24, 2023. Accessed September 30, 2022.
Arizona State Oral Health Action Plan 2019–2020 Work Group. Finding the keys Arizona's oral health issues. Pheonix, AZ: Arizona Department of Health Sciences. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336410440_Finding_Keys_to_Arizona's_Oral_Health_Issues_Arizona_2019-2022_Oral_Health_Action_Plan. Published 2019. Accessed November 2, 2022.
The dentist workforce. American Dental Association, Health Policy Institute. https://www.ada.org/resources/research/health-policy-institute/dentist-workforce. Updated February 24, 2023. Accessed November 2, 2022.
Burden of oral disease in West Virginia. West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Oral Health Program.https://dhhr.wv.gov/oralhealth/reports/Documents/Burden%20Document%2003-28-2022_Final.pdf. Updated March 2022. Accessed November 2, 2022.
- University at Albany. Oral Health in Michigan.School of Public Health, University at Albany, Rensselaer, NY2022Published June 2015. Accessed November 2)
- 2020 Michigan state oral health plan.Michigan Oral Health Coalition, Lansing, MI2022https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Project/Websites/mdhhs/Folder3/Folder2/Folder2/Folder102/Folder1/Folder202/2020_MichiganStateOralHealthPlan_FINAL.pdf?rev=1eca54748529417eaa4f4709aa0eb23e(Published 2022. Accessed November 2)
- Pennsylvania Oral Health Plan 2020–2030.Pennsylvania Department of Health, Harrisburg, PA2022https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/Documents/Programs/Pennsylvania%20Oral%20Health%20Plan%202020-2030.pdf(Accessed November 2)
- Ending the neglect of global oral health: time for radical action.Lancet. 2019; 394: 261-272https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31133-X
- The return of oral health to global health is significant for public health everywhere.J Public Health Dent. 2021; 81: 87-89https://doi.org/10.1111/jphd.12457