Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Web-Based injury statistics query and reporting system (WISQARS).Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S.2021 (Updated December 2, 2021. Accessed February 16, 2023.)
- The relationship between firearms and suicide: a review of the literature.Aggress Violent Behav. 1999; 4: 59-75https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-1789(97)00057-8
- Mental illness and reduction of gun violence and suicide: bringing epidemiologic research to policy.Ann Epidemiol. 2015; 25: 366-376https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2014.03.004
- Results from the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: detailed tables.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Rockville, MD2015 (Accessed August 16, 2022)
- Prior suicide attempts are less common in suicide decedents who died by firearms relative to those who died by other means.J Affect Disord. 2016; 189: 106-109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2015.09.007
- Lethality of firearms relative to other suicide methods: a population based study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003; 57: 120-124https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.57.2.120
- The epidemiology of firearm suicide in the United States.J Urban Health. 2002; 79: 39-48https://doi.org/10.1093/jurban/79.1.39
- Characteristics of adult male and female firearm suicide decedents: findings from the National Violent Death Reporting System.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 322-327https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2008.021162
- Firearm suicide among veterans in the general population: findings from the national violent death reporting system.J Trauma. 2009; 67: 503-507https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181b36521
- Changes in overall and firearm veteran suicide rates by gender, 2001–2010.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 360-364https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.10.013
National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/datasources/nvdrs/index.html. Updated September 28, 2021. Accessed February 1, 2022.
NVDRS data access. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/datasources/nvdrs/dataaccess.html. Updated September 28, 2021. Accessed October 1, 2022.
National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS) coding manual. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nvdrs/nvdrsCodingManual.pdf. Updated April 22, 2021. Accessed October 1, 2022.
- Job-related problems prior to nurse suicide, 2003–2017: a mixed methods analysis using natural language processing and thematic analysis.J Nurs Regul. 2021; 12: 28-39https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(21)00017-X
- An overview of content analysis.Pract Assess Res Eval. 2000; 7: 17https://doi.org/10.7275/z6fm-2e34
- Reliability and inter-rater reliability in qualitative research.Proc ACM Hum Comput Interact. 2019; 3: 1-23https://doi.org/10.1145/3359174
Dedoose Version 8.0.35. Dedoose. https://www.dedoose.com/. Accessed February 1, 2022.
- Multidimensional diagnostic criteria for chronic pain: introduction to the ACTTION–American Pain Society Pain Taxonomy (AAPT).J Pain. 2016; 17 (suppl): T1-T9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2016.02.010
- Natural Language ToolKit (NLTK) Book. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol, CA2009
Richardson L. Beautiful soup documentation. Read the Docs.2016. https://beautiful-soup-4.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html?highlight=Beautiful%20soup%20documentation.
- Scikit-learn: machine learning in Python.J Mach Learn Res. 2011; 12: 2825-2830
- Suicide among older adults living in or transitioning to residential long-term care, 2003 to 2015.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e195627https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.5627
Ko TM, Kalesnikava VA, Jurgens D, Mezuk B. A data science approach to estimating the frequency of driving cessation associated suicide in the U.S.: evidence from the national violent death reporting system. Front Public Health. 2021;9(1):689967. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.689967.
- The random forest algorithm for statistical learning.The Stata Journal. 2020; 20: 3-29https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X20909688
- Random forests.Mach Learn. 2001; 45: 5-32https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010933404324
- An Introduction to Statistical Learning - With Applications in R.Springer, Cham, Switzerland2013
- Selecting a classification method by cross-validation.Mach Learn. 1993; 13: 135-143https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00993106
- Nurse suicide in the United States: analysis of the Center for Disease Control 2014 National Violent Death Reporting System dataset.Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2019; 33: 16-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2019.04.006
- Risk factors for child death during an intimate partner homicide: a case-control study.Child Maltreat. 2021; 26: 356-362https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559520983901
- Characteristics and patterns of older adult homicides in the United States.Inj Epidemiol. 2021; 8: 5https://doi.org/10.1186/s40621-021-00299-w
Mintz M, Bills S, Snow R, Jurafsky D. Distant supervision for relation extraction without labeled data. 2009;2:1003–1011. https://doi.org/10.3115/1690219.1690287.
- Named entity recognition without labelled data: a weak supervision approach.in: Proceedings of the 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics. 2020https://doi.org/10.18653/v1/2020.acl-main.139
- Snorkel: Rapid Training Data Creation with Weak Supervision.Proceedings VLDB Endowment. 2017; 11: 269-282https://doi.org/10.14778/3157794.3157797
Brown TB, Mann B, Ryder N, et al. Language models are few-shot learners. ArXiv. Preprint. Online May 28, 2020. https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.14165. Accessed November 7, 2022.
- Machine learning and cloud-based knowledge graphs to recognize suicidal mental tendencies.Comput Intell Neurosci. 2022; 20223604113https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/3604113
Cerel J, Maple M, van de Venne J, Moore M, Flaherty C, Brown M. Exposure to suicide in the community: prevalence and correlates in one U.S. State. Public Health Rep. 2016;131(1):100–107. https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491613100116.
- Intimate partner violence, suicide, and their overlapping risk in women veterans: a review of the literature.Mil Med. 2019; 184: e201-e210https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usy355
- Intimate partner violence and incident depressive symptoms and suicide attempts: a systematic review of longitudinal studies.PLoS Med. 2013; 10e1001439https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001439
- Chronic pain among suicide decedents, 2003 to 2014: findings from the national violent death reporting system.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 448-455https://doi.org/10.7326/M18-0830
- The influence of patient sex, provider sex, and sexist attitudes on pain treatment decisions.J Pain. 2014; 15: 551-559https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2014.02.003
- Using natural language processing to improve suicide classification requires consideration of race.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2022; 52: 782-791https://doi.org/10.1111/sltb.12862