Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Lipari RN, Van Horn SL. Children living with parents who have a substance use disorder. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/report_3223/ShortReport-3223.html. Published August 24, 2017. Accessed December 24, 2021.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 national survey on drug use and health. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018.pdf. Published 2019. Accessed December 25, 2021.
Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. Behavioral health trends in the United States: results from the 2014 national survey on drug use and health. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-FRR1-2014/NSDUH-FRR1-2014.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed December 25, 2021.
- Editorial: Long-term consequences of adolescent drug use: evidence from pre-clinical and clinical models.Front Behav Neurosci. 2018; 12: 83https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00083
- Community reinforcement therapy for cocaine-dependent outpatients.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 1043-1052https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.60.9.1043
- Simultaneous versus concurrent use of alcohol and cannabis in the National Alcohol Survey.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015; 39: 872-879https://doi.org/10.1111/acer.12698
- Examining the effectiveness of residential treatment among adolescents with problem substance use.J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2019; 28: 221-228https://doi.org/10.1080/1067828X.2019.1682736
Winters KC, Tanner-Smith EE, Bresani E, Meyers K. Current advances in the treatment of adolescent drug use. Adolesc Health Med Ther. 2014;5:199–210. https://doi.org/10.2147/AHMT.S48053.
- The comparative effectiveness of outpatient treatment for adolescent substance abuse: a meta-analysis.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2013; 44: 145-158https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2012.05.006
- Treating Adolescent Substance Use: A Clinician's Guide.Springer, Cham, Switzerland2019
- ASAM Patient Placement Criteria for the Treatment of Substance-Related Disorders.2nd ed. revised. American Society of Addiction Medicine, Rockville, MD2001
- The twelve steps and adolescent recovery: a concise review.Subst Abuse. 2020; 141178221820904397https://doi.org/10.1177/1178221820904397
- Adolescent-only substance abuse treatment: availability and adoption of components of quality.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009; 36: 195-204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2008.06.002
- The looming expansion and transformation of public substance abuse treatment under the Affordable Care Act.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1402-1410https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0480
- Substance use screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for pediatricians.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e1330-e1340https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-1754
- Treatment utilization among adolescent substance users: findings from the 2002 to 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016; 40: 1717-1727https://doi.org/10.1111/acer.13137
- Trends in therapeutic services participation among U.S. adolescents affected by substance use, 2002–2017.Subst Use Misuse. 2021; 56: 567-570https://doi.org/10.1080/10826084.2021.1887245
- Continuing care for adolescents in treatment for substance use disorders.Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2016; 25: 669-684https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chc.2016.06.003
- Adolescent depression: national trends, risk factors, and healthcare disparities.Am J Health Behav. 2019; 43: 181-194https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.43.1.15
- Understanding early-onset drug and alcohol outcomes among youth: the role of family structure, social factors, and interpersonal perceptions of use.Psychol Health Med. 2011; 16: 249-267https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2010.532560
- Recent alcohol, tobacco, and substance use variations between rural and urban middle and high school students.J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2017; 26: 60-65https://doi.org/10.1080/1067828X.2016.1210550
- The comorbidity of depression and substance use disorders.Clin Psychol Rev. 2000; 20: 173-189https://doi.org/10.1016/s0272-7358(99)00026-4
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2013 national survey on drug use and health: summary of national findings. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHresultsPDFWHTML2013/Web/NSDUHresults2013.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed December 15, 2021.
Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. Methods for Handling Missing Item Values in Regression Models Using the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH): NSDUH methodological report. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health ServicesAdministration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUH%20Methods%20for%20Handling%20Missing%20Item%20Values%202018.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed December 15, 2021.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.4th ed. (DSM-IV). American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1994
- Depression in adolescence.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1056-1067https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60871-4
Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. National survey on drug use and health: an overview of trend testing methods and applications in NSDUH and other studies. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-TrendTestTask1-2015.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed December 15, 2021.
- Reported heroin use, use disorder, and injection among adults in the United States, 2002–2018.JAMA. 2020; 323: 568-571https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.20844
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates [published correction appears in Stat Med. 2001;20(4):655].Stat Med. 2000; 19: 335-351https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0258(20000215)19:3≤335::aid-sim336≥3.0.co;2-z
- Principled missing data methods for researchers.Springerplus. 2013; 2: 222https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-2-222
Joinpoint Trend Analysis Software. Version 126.96.36.199. National Cancer Institute. https://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint/. Updated April 13, 2022. Accessed November 15, 2022.
R Core Team. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Version 188.8.131.52. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. https://www.R-project.org/. Published 2020. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Evidence base on outpatient behavioral treatments for adolescent substance use, 2014–2017: outcomes, treatment delivery, and promising horizons.J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2018; 47: 499-526https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2018.1466307
- Adolescent substance use disorder treatment: an update on evidence-based strategies.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2019; 21: 96https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-019-1086-0
- Treating and Preventing Adolescent Mental Health Disorders: What We Know and What We Don't Know. A Research Agenda for Improving the Mental Health of Our Youth.Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2005
- Integrated medical-behavioral care compared with usual primary care for child and adolescent behavioral health: a meta-analysis.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 929-937https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.1141
- Brief alcohol interventions for adolescents and young adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2015; 51: 1-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2014.09.001
- The effectiveness of self-help groups for adolescent substance misuse: a systematic review.J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2016; 25: 229-244https://doi.org/10.1080/1067828X.2014.981772
- Advancing Quality Interventions for Adolescents Who Use, Abuse or Are Dependent Upon Alcohol and Other Drugs.Treatment Research Institute, Philadelphia, PA2014
- A review of alcoholics anonymous/narcotics anonymous programs for teens.Eval Health Prof. 2010; 33: 26-55https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278709356186
- Twelve-Step affiliation and 3-year substance use outcomes among adolescents: social support and religious service attendance as potential mediators.Addiction. 2009; 104: 927-939https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02524.x
- Twelve-Step attendance trajectories over 7 years among adolescents entering substance use treatment in an integrated health plan.Addiction. 2012; 107: 933-942https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03758.x
Dir AL, Bell RL, Adams ZW, Hulvershorn LA. Gender differences in risk factors for adolescent binge drinking and implications for intervention and prevention. Front Psychiatry. 2017;8:289. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00289.
- Evidence for a closing gender gap in alcohol use, abuse, and dependence in the United States population.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008; 93: 21-29https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2007.08.017
- Sex and gender differences in substance use disorders.Clin Psychol Rev. 2018; 66: 12-23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2017.10.012
- Patterns of alcohol use and multiple risk behaviour by gender during early and late adolescence: the ALSPAC cohort.J Public Health (Oxf). 2012; 34: i20-i30https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fds006
- Sex and gender-related differences in alcohol use and its consequences: contemporary knowledge and future research considerations.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 156: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.08.023
- Alcohol consumption and risk of liver cirrhosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2019; 114: 1574-1586https://doi.org/10.14309/ajg.0000000000000340
Sex and gender differences in substance use. National Institute on Drug Abuse. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/substance-use-in-women/sex-gender-differences-in-substance-use. Updated April 2020. Accessed February 10, 2022.
- Comparing levels of cocaine cue reactivity in male and female outpatients.Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999; 53: 223-230https://doi.org/10.1016/s0376-8716(98)00135-5
- Substance use among early adolescent girls: risk and protective factors.J Adolesc Health. 2008; 43: 191-194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2007.12.014
- Transgender youth substance use disparities: results from a population-based sample.J Adolesc Health. 2017; 61: 729-735https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.06.024
Fish JN, Baams L. Trends in alcohol-related disparities between heterosexual and sexual minority youth from 2007 to 2015: findings from the Youth Risk Behavior Survey. LGBT Health. 2018;5(6):359–367. https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2017.0212.
- Evidence-based interventions for preventing substance use disorders in adolescents.Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2010; 19: 505-526https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chc.2010.03.005
- Toward the integration of education and mental health in schools.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2010; 37: 40-47https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-010-0299-7
- Promoting access to school-based services for children's mental health.AMA J Ethics. 2016; 18: 1218-1224https://doi.org/10.1001/journalofethics.2016.18.12.pfor1-1612
- Exploring racial/ethnic differences in substance use: a preliminary theory-based investigation with juvenile justice-involved youth.BMC Pediatr. 2011; 11: 71https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2431-11-71
- Explaining racial/ethnic differences in adolescent substance abuse treatment completion in the United States: a decomposition analysis.J Adolesc Health. 2014; 54: 646-653https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.01.002
- Factors associated with adolescents receiving drug treatment: findings from the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse.J Behav Health Serv Res. 2003; 30: 190-201https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02289807
- Factors associated with adolescent utilization of alcohol treatment services.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2002; 28: 353-369https://doi.org/10.1081/ada-120002978
- Health insurance coverage and the receipt of specialty treatment for substance use disorders among U.S. adults.Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65: 1070-1073https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201300443
Mutter R, Ali M, Strashny A. Profile of adolescent discharges from substance abuse treatment. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK343539/. Published 2015. Accessed December 10, 2022
- Exposure to single parenthood in childhood and later mental health, educational, economic, and criminal behavior outcomes.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007; 64: 1089-1095https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.64.9.1089
- Combined prevention for substance use, depression, and anxiety in adolescence: a cluster-randomised controlled trial of a digital online intervention.Lancet Digit Health. 2020; 2: e74-e84https://doi.org/10.1016/S2589-7500(19)30213-4
- Trends and disparities in treatment for co-occurring major depression and substance use disorders among U.S. adolescents from 2011 to 2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2130280https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.30280
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2020 national survey on drug use and health. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/reports/rpt35325/NSDUHFFRPDFWHTMLFiles2020/2020NSDUHFFR1PDFW102121.pdf. Published 2021. Accessed February 21, 2022.
- Diagnosis and assessment of alcohol use disorders among adolescents.Alcohol Health Res World. 1998; 22 (Accessed February, 2022.): 95-105https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6761810/Date accessed: February , 2022