Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
MR Spencer and AM Miniño, Drug Overdose Deaths in the United States, 2001–2021. NCHS Data Brief, no 457, National Center for Health Statistics; Hyattsville, MD, 122556, https://doi.org/10.15620/cdc.
- Mortality risk during and after opioid substitution treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.BMJ. 2017; 357: j1550https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j1550
- Association of opioid agonist treatment with all-cause mortality and specific causes of death among people with opioid dependence: a Systematic review and meta-analysis [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry. 2021;78(9):1044] [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry. 2022;79(5):516].JAMA Psychiatry. 2021; 78: 979-993https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2021.0976
- Risks of fatal opioid overdose during the first year following nonfatal overdose.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 190: 112-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2018.06.004
- Causes of death after nonfatal opioid overdose [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry. 2018;75(8):867].JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75: 820-827https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.1471
- Causes of death among U.S. Veterans with a prior nonfatal opioid overdose.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021; 219108484https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108484
- Mortality following nonfatal opioid and sedative/hypnotic drug overdose.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 59: 59-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.02.012
- Individual and county-level variation in outcomes following non-fatal opioid-involved overdose.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2020; 74: 369-376https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2019-212915
- Non-fatal overdose as a risk factor for subsequent fatal overdose among people who inject drugs.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 162: 51-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.02.024
- Emergency department presentation and mortality rate due to overdose: a retrospective cohort study on nonfatal overdoses.Subst Abus. 2016; 37: 558-563https://doi.org/10.1080/08897077.2016.1152342
- Incidence of treatment for opioid use disorder following nonfatal overdose in commercially insured patients.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e205852https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.5852
- Racial/ethnic differences in the medical treatment of opioid use disorders within the VA Healthcare System following non-fatal opioid overdose.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 1537-1544https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-05645-0
- Medication-assisted treatment and opioid use before and after overdose in Pennsylvania Medicaid.JAMA. 2017; 318: 750-752https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.7818
- Characteristics and receipt of medication treatment among young adults who experience a nonfatal opioid-related overdose.Ann Emerg Med. 2020; 75: 29-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2019.07.030
- Changes in outpatient services and medication use following a non-fatal opioid overdose in the West Virginia Medicaid program.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 789-791https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4817-8
- Engagement in drug treatment following nonfatal overdose among people who inject drugs in Appalachia.Int J Drug Policy. 2021; 93103176https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2021.103176
- The role of substance use disorders in experiencing a repeat opioid overdose, and substance use treatment patterns among patients with a non-fatal opioid overdose.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2020; 209107923https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.107923
- Predictors of enrollment in opioid agonist therapy after opioid overdose or diagnosis with opioid use disorder: a cohort study.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021; 219108435https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108435
- Naloxone and buprenorphine prescribing following U.S. Emergency Department visits for suspected opioid overdose: August 2019 to April 2021.Ann Emerg Med. 2022; 79: 225-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2021.10.005
- Buprenorphine Treatment Intake and Critical Encounters following a Nonfatal Opioid Overdose.Subst Use Misuse. 2021; 56: 988-996https://doi.org/10.1080/10826084.2021.1901933
- Medication for opioid use disorder after nonfatal opioid overdose and association with mortality: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 137-145https://doi.org/10.7326/M17-3107
- Socioeconomic risk factors for fatal opioid overdoses in the United States: findings from the Mortality Disparities in American Communities Study (MDAC).PLoS One. 2020; 15e0227966https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0227966
MACStats: Medicaid and CHIP Data Book. Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission (MACPAC). https://www.macpac.gov/publication/macstats-medicaid-and-chip-data-book-2/. Accessed December 3, 2021.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Chronic pain in the Medicare population, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; Baltimore, MD. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/mcbs-2018-survey-file-chronic-pain-infographic.pdf. Published June 2020. Accessed December 2, 2021.
- Prescription opioid use among disabled Medicare beneficiaries: intensity, trends and regional variation.Med Care. 2014; 52: 852-859https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000183
- Trends in opioid use in commercially insured and Medicare Advantage populations in 2007–16: retrospective cohort study [published correction appears in BMJ. 2018;363:k4825].BMJ. 2018; 362: k2833https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2833
Niles L, Blaz J, Ng J, et al. Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries with opioid use disorder in 2018: disparities in prevalence by beneficiary characteristics. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; Baltimore, MD. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/oud-disparities-prevalence-2018-medicare-ffs-dh-002.pdf. Published December 2020. Accessed December 6, 2021.
Tarazi W, Welch WP, Nguyen N, et al. Medicare beneficiary enrollment trends and demographic characteristics, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, HHS; Washington, DC. https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/medicare-enrollment. Published March 2, 2022. Accessed January 19, 2023.
- Opioid overdose hospitalizations among Medicare-disability beneficiaries.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 881-896https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.06.180152
Song Z. Mortality quadrupled among opioid-driven hospitalizations, notably within lower-income and disabled white populations. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017;36(12):2054–2061. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0689.
- Association of disability with mortality from opioid overdose among U.S. Medicare adults.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1915638https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.15638
- Use of the Medicare database in epidemiologic and health services research: a valuable source of real-world evidence on the older and disabled populations in the U.S.Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 9: 267-277https://doi.org/10.2147/CLEP.S105613
International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM). National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd9cm.htm. Updated November 3, 2021. Accessed October 30, 2021.
International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM). National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd-10-cm.htm. Updated October 17, 2022. Accessed October 30, 2022.
- Epidemiology of emergency department visits for opioid overdose: a population-based study.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 462-471https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2013.12.008
Alpha-Numeric HCPCS. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/HCPCSReleaseCodeSets/Alpha-Numeric-HCPCS. Updated May 9, 2022. Accessed October 30, 2022.
- CPT Professional Edition: Current Procedural Terminology 2015.American Medical Association Press, Philadelphia, PA2014
National Committee on Quality Assurance, 2020 quality rating system value set directory, National Committee on Quality Assurance; Washington, DC. https://store.ncqa.org/2020-quality-rating-system-qrs-hedis-value-set-directory.html. Published 2019. Accessed October 10, 2021.
- Immortal time bias in pharmaco-epidemiology.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 492-499https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm324
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Multiple cause of death, 1999-2020. http://wonder.cdc.gov/mcd-icd10.html. Updated 2020. Accessed September 6, 2022.
- Has the treatment gap for opioid use disorder narrowed in the U.S.?: a yearly assessment from 2010 to 2019.Int J Drug Policy. 2022; 110103786https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2022.103786
- Sensitivity analysis in observational research: introducing the E-value.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 268-274https://doi.org/10.7326/M16-2607
- Overcoming barriers to prescribing buprenorphine in the emergency department.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e204996https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.4996
- Barriers and facilitators for emergency department initiation of buprenorphine: a physician survey.Ann Emerg Med. 2019; 37: 1784-1790https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2012.05.014
- Barriers and facilitators to clinician readiness to provide emergency department–initiated buprenorphine.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e204561https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.4561
- User centered clinical decision support to implement initiation of buprenorphine for opioid use disorder in the emergency department: EMBED pragmatic cluster randomized controlled trial.BMJ. 2022; 377e069271https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj-2021-069271
- Impact of long-term buprenorphine treatment on adverse health care outcomes in Medicaid.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 747-755https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.01085
- Acute care, prescription opioid use, and overdose following discontinuation of long-term buprenorphine treatment for opioid use disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2020; 177: 117-124https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2019.19060612
- Risk factors for discontinuation of buprenorphine treatment for opioid use disorders in a multi-state sample of Medicaid enrollees.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2018; 95: 9-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2018.09.001
- Non-prescribed buprenorphine preceding treatment intake and clinical outcomes for opioid use disorder.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2022; 139108770https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2022.108770
- Psychosocial and behavioral therapy in conjunction with medication for opioid use disorder: patterns, predictors, and association with buprenorphine treatment outcomes.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2022; 139108774https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2022.108774
- Psychosocial combined with agonist maintenance treatments versus agonist maintenance treatments alone for treatment of opioid dependence.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; CD004147https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004147.pub4
- A systematic review on the use of psychosocial interventions in conjunction with medications for the treatment of opioid addiction.J Addict Med. 2016; 10: 93-103https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000193
- Adjunct interventions to standard medical management of buprenorphine in outpatient settings: a systematic review of the evidence.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021; 228108923https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108923
- African Americans now outpace whites in opioid-involved overdose deaths: a comparison of temporal trends from 1999 to 2018.Addiction. 2021; 116: 677-683https://doi.org/10.1111/add.15233
- Transforming management of opioid use disorder with universal treatment.N Engl J Med. 2022; 387: 1341-1344https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2210121
- Buprenorphine maintenance versus placebo or methadone maintenance for opioid dependence.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; CD002207https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002207.pub4
- Unintentional drug overdose: is more frequent use of non-prescribed buprenorphine associated with lower risk of overdose?.Int J Drug Policy. 2020; 79102722https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2020.102722
- Corrected U.S. opioid-involved drug poisoning deaths and mortality rates, 1999–2015.Addiction. 2018; 113: 1339-1344https://doi.org/10.1111/add.14144
- Buprenorphine–naloxone therapy in pain management.Anesthesiology. 2014; 120: 1262-1274https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000000170
Disability and Health Data System (DHDS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Division of Human Development and Disability. https://dhds.cdc.gov. Updated May 19, 2022. Accessed September 29, 2021.