Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Conflict casualties. Defense Casualty Analysis System. https://dcas.dmdc.osd.mil/dcas/app/conflictCasualties. Updated August 2020. Accessed September 22, 2020.
Traumatic brain injury. Department of Defense. https://dod.defense.gov/News/Special-Reports/0315_tbi/. Updated December 1, 2014. Accessed September 22, 2020.
- Traumatic brain injury in modern war.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2011; 24: 124-130https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0b013e32834458da
- Epidemiology of moderate-to-severe penetrating versus closed traumatic brain injury in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73 (suppl 5): S496-S502https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318275473c
- Pathophysiology of battlefield associated traumatic brain injury.Pathophysiology. 2013; 20: 23-30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathophys.2012.03.001
- Combat wounds in Iraq and Afghanistan from 2005 to 2009.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 3-12https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318250bfb4
- Incidence and epidemiology of combat injuries sustained during “the surge” portion of operation Iraqi Freedom by a U.S. Army brigade combat team.J Trauma. 2010; 68: 204-210https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181bdcf95
- Penetrating injuries in the Vietnam war. Traumatic unconsciousness, epilepsy, and psychosocial outcome.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 1995; 6: 715-726https://doi.org/10.1016/S1042-3680(18)30427-3
- Traumatic brain injury following military deployment: evaluation of diagnosis and cause of injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2019; 34: 21-29https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0000000000000417
- Isolated severe traumatic brain injuries sustained during combat operations: demographics, mortality outcomes, and lessons to be learned from contrasts to civilian counterparts.J Trauma. 2011; 70: 11-18https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318207c563
- Role of Department of Defense policies in identifying traumatic brain injuries among deployed U.S. service members, 2001–2016.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 683-688https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2018.304347
Office of Research and Development. VA research on Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). https://www.research.va.gov/topics/tbi.cfm. Updated October 23, 2019. Accessed September 19, 2022.
- Traumatic brain injury in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans: new results from a national random sample study.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2017; 29: 254-259https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.16050100
- Died of wounds on the battlefield: causation and implications for improving combat casualty care.J Trauma. 2011; 71 (suppl): S4-S8https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318221147b
- Death on the battlefield (2001–2011): implications for the future of combat casualty care.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73 ([published correction appears in J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013;74(2):706]) (suppl 5): S431-S437https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182755dcc
- Association of mild traumatic brain injury with and without loss of consciousness with dementia in U.S. military veterans.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 1055-1061https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.0815
- Inpatient hospitalizations of U.S. military personnel medically evacuated from Iraq and Afghanistan with combat-related traumatic brain injury.Mil Med. 2011; 176: 132-135https://doi.org/10.7205/milmed-d-09-00238
- Military occupation and deployment: descriptive epidemiology of active duty U.S. Army men evaluated for a disability discharge.Mil Med. 2013; 178: 708-714https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-12-00542
- Review of 54 cases of prolonged field care.J Spec Oper Med. 2017; 17: 121-129https://doi.org/10.55460/OAL4-CBRC
U.S. Army institute of surgical research. Dense urban environment (DUE) wargaming report. Combat Causality Care Deep Dive. 2018.
- Estimates of long-term disability among U.S. service members with traumatic brain injuries.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2021; 36: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0000000000000573
- Trauma system development in a theater of war: experiences from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 1366-1373https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000245894.78941.90
LH Blackbourne, K Grathwohl, B Eastridge, DL MacDonald and JB. Holcomb, Optimizing transport of postoperative damage control patients in the combat zone, US Army Med Dep J, 2007, 11–16. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20084701/. Accessed March 3, 2020.
- Military medical revolution: military trauma system.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73 ([published correction appears in J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013;74(2):705]) (suppl 5): S388-S394https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31827548df
Surveillance case definitions. The Armed Forces Surveillance Branch. https://www.health.mil/Military-Health-Topics/Health-Readiness/AFHSD/Epidemiology-and-Analysis/Surveillance-Case-Definitions. Updated August 10, 2020. Accessed September 19, 2021.
International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd9cm.htm. Updated September 8, 2011. Accessed March 3, 2020.
- Utility of a sports medicine model in military combat concussion and musculoskeletal restoration care.Mil Med. 2014; 179: 1319-1324https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-14-00191
Joinpoint trend analysis software. Surveillance Research Program. National Cancer Institute, NIH. https://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint/. Updated April 22, 2020. Accessed July 15, 2020.
- Military traumatic brain and spinal column injury: a 5-year study of the impact blast and other military grade weaponry on the central nervous system.J Trauma. 2009; 66 (suppl): S104-S111https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31819d88c8
- Incidence of traumatic brain injury in the U.S. Military, 2010–2014.Mil Med. 2019; 184: e233-e241https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usy313
- Traumatic brain injury hospitalizations of U.S. army soldiers deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38 (suppl): S108-S116https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.10.006
- Injury-specific correlates of combat-related traumatic brain injury in Operation Iraqi Freedom.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2011; 26: 312-318https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0b013e3181e94404
- MRAPs, irregular warfare, and pentagon reform.National Defense University Press, Washington DC2009Published June 6, 2009. Accessed December 1, 2022)
- Combat injury profiles among U.S. military personnel who survived serious wounds in Iraq and Afghanistan: a latent class analysis.PLoS One. 2022; 17e0266588https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0266588