Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The health consequences of smoking—50 years of progress: a report of the Surgeon General.HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GAPublished 2014Accessed January 5, 2023)
- Smoking cessation: a report of the Surgeon General.HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GAPublished 2020Accessed January 5, 2023)
- Tobacco product use among adults—United States, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2022; 71: 397-405https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7111a1
- Quitting smoking among adults—United States, 2000–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 65: 1457-1464
- Tobacco product use and cessation indicators among adults—United States, 2018.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 1013-1019https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6845a2
- Smoking relapse after 2 years of abstinence: findings from the VA Normative Aging Study.Nicotine Tob Res. 2002; 4: 95-100https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200110098428
- Tobacco marketing and adolescent smoking: more support for a causal inference.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 407-411https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.90.3.407
- Vaping versus JUULing: how the extraordinary growth and marketing of JUUL transformed the U.S. retail E-cigarette market.Tob Control. 2019; 28: 146-151
- Progression to established smoking: the influence of tobacco marketing.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 22: 228-233https://doi.org/10.1016/s0749-3797(02)00420-8
- Online tobacco marketing and subsequent tobacco use.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20172927https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-2927
- Comprehensive tobacco marketing restrictions: promotion, packaging, price and place.Tob Control. 2012; 21: 147-153https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050416
- Consumption of JUUL vs. other E-cigarette brands among U.S. E-cigarette users: evidence from Wave 5 of the PATH Study.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 10837https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710837
- Exposure to E-cigarette TV advertisements among U.S. youth and adults, 2013–2019.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0251203https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0251203
- Federal Trade Commission: cigarette report for 2020.Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DCPublished 2021https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/federal-trade-commission-cigarette-report-2020-smokeless-tobacco-report-2020/p114508fy20cigarettereport.pdf(Accessed August 9, 2022)
Choi K, Chen JC, Tan ASL, Soneji S, Moran MB. Receipt of tobacco direct mail/email discount coupons and trajectories of cigarette smoking behaviours in a nationally representative longitudinal cohort of U.S. adults. Tob Control. In press. Online June 19, 2018. http://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2018-054363.
- Shape of the relapse curve and long-term abstinence among untreated smokers.Addiction. 2004; 99: 29-38https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00540.x
- Can transtheoretical model measures predict relapse from the action stage of change among ex-smokers who quit after calling a quitline?.Addict Behav. 2006; 31: 414-428https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2005.05.023
- Prevalence and determinants of cigarette smoking relapse among U.S. adult smokers: a longitudinal study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e031676
- Using WhatsApp and Facebook online social groups for smoking relapse prevention for recent quitters: a pilot pragmatic cluster randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2015; 17: e238https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.4829
- Rates and predictors of renewed quitting after relapse during a one-year follow-up among primary care patients.Ann Behav Med. 2015; 49: 128-140https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-014-9627-6
- Confounding: what it is and how to deal with it.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 256-260https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ki.5002650
- Tobacco industry direct mail marketing and participation by New Jersey adults.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 257-259https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.94.2.257
- Tobacco couponing: a systematic review of exposures and effects on tobacco initiation and cessation.Nicotine Tob Res. 2022; 24: 1523-1533https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntac037
- Effect of smoking cues and cigarette availability on craving and smoking behavior.Addict Behav. 1995; 20: 657-673https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(95)00029-C
- Self-efficacy and the stages of self-change of smoking.Cogn Ther Res. 1985; 9: 181-200https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01204849
Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study [United States] restricted-use files (ICPSR 36231). National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR36231.v27. Updated June 29, 2021.
- Design and methods of the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study.Tob Control. 2017; 26: 371-378
- Correlates of tobacco product cessation among youth and adults in the USA: findings from the PATH Study Waves 1–3 (2013–2016).Tob Control. 2020; 29: s191-s202
- Effect modification of legalizing recreational cannabis use on the association between E-cigarette use and future cannabis use among U.S. adolescents.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2022; 233109260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.109260
- A review of missing data handling methods in education research.Rev Educ Res. 2014; 84: 487-508https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654314532697
- Intentions and attempts to quit smoking among sexual minoritized adult smokers after exposure to the tips from former smokers campaign.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e2211060https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.11060
- Co-occurrence of tobacco product use, substance use, and mental health problems among adults: findings from Wave 1 (2013–2014) of the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017; 177: 104-111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.03.032
- Role of mental health in the association between E-cigarettes and cannabis use.Am J Prev Med. 2022; 62: 307-316https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.09.012
About STATE system. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/statesystem/about.html. Updated December 30, 2019. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Frequency and characteristics associated with exposure to tobacco direct mail marketing and its prospective effect on smoking behaviors among young adults from the U.S. Midwest.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 2179-2183https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302123
- Use of price-minimizing strategies by smokers and their effects on subsequent smoking behaviors.Nicotine Tob Res. 2012; 14: 864-870https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntr300
- Receipt and redemption of cigarette coupons, perceptions of cigarette companies and smoking cessation.Tob Control. 2013; 22: 418-422
- Receipt of tobacco direct mail coupons and changes in smoking status in a nationally representative sample of U.S. adults.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 1095-1100https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntx141
Wang Y, Duan Z, Weaver SR, et al. The short-term and long-term associations between receiving tobacco discounts/coupons and smoking cessation among U.S. adult cigarette smokers with intention to quit. Nicotine Tob Res. In press. Online September 17, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntac216.
Tobacco coupon regulations and sampling restrictions. Tobacco Control Legal Consortium. https://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/tclc-guide-tobcouponregsandsampling-2011.pdf. Updated March 2021. Accessed October 10, 2022.
- Do predictors of smoking relapse change as a function of duration of abstinence? Findings from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia.Addiction. 2018; 113: 1295-1304https://doi.org/10.1111/add.14182
- Smoking withdrawal dynamics: I. Abstinence distress in lapsers and abstainers.J Abnorm Psychol. 2003; 112: 3-13
- Perspectives on relapse prevention: an exploratory study.Psychol Health. 2005; 20: 661-671https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440512331333979
- Tobacco addiction.Lancet. 2008; 371: 2027-2038https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60871-5
- Influence of neuronal nicotinic receptors over nicotine addiction and withdrawal.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2008; 233: 917-929https://doi.org/10.3181/0712-MR-355