Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
World Health Organization. Food marketing exposure and power and their associations with food-related attitudes, beliefs, and behaviours: a narrative review. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240041783. Published February 7, 2022. Accessed February 24, 2023.
- Advertising as a cue to consume: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of acute exposure to unhealthy food and nonalcoholic beverage advertising on intake in children and adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 519-533https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.115.120022
- Food marketing influences children's attitudes, preferences and consumption: a systematic critical review.Nutrients. 2019; 11: E875https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11040875
- Influence of unhealthy food and beverage marketing on children's dietary intake and preference: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.Obes Rev. 2016; 17: 945-959https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12445
- A systematic review of persuasive marketing techniques to promote food to children on television.Obes Rev. 2014; 15: 281-293https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12141
- Effectiveness of food environment policies in improving population diets: a review of systematic reviews.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2022; 76: 637-646https://doi.org/10.1038/s41430-021-01008-y
- Diet quality of items advertised in supermarket sales circulars compared to diets of the US population, as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116 (115–122.e1)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2015.09.016
- Healthy or unhealthy on sale? A cross-sectional study on the proportion of healthy and unhealthy foods promoted through flyer advertising by supermarkets in the Netherlands.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 470https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-1748-8
- An analysis of sodium, total fat and saturated fat contents of packaged food products advertised in Bronx-based supermarket circulars.J Community Health. 2014; 39: 775-782https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-014-9829-7
- Price promotions for food and beverage products in a nationwide sample of food stores.Prev Med. 2016; 86: 106-113https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.01.011
- Availability and placement of healthy and discretionary food in Australian supermarkets by chain and level of socio-economic disadvantage.Public Health Nutr. 2021; 24: 203-214https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020002505
- The healthiness of food and beverages on price promotion at promotional displays: a cross-sectional audit of Australian supermarkets.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 9026https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17239026
- FoodAPS National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey: Summary Findings.2019https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/foodaps-national-household-food-acquisition-and-purchase-survey/summary-findings(Accessed August 19, 2022)
Rivlin G. Rigged: supermarket shelves for sale. https://www.cspinet.org/sites/default/files/media/documents/misc/CSPI_Rigged_4_small.pdf. Published online 2016. Accessed January 26, 2023.
- Sales impact of displaying alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in end-of-aisle locations: an observational study.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 108: 68-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.02.032
- Increase in sales due to in-store display.J Mark Res. 1975; 12: 426-431https://doi.org/10.1177/002224377501200406
- Assessing the sales effectiveness of differently located endcaps in a supermarket.J Retailing Con Serv. 2018; 43: 200-208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2018.03.015
- The interplay among category characteristics, customer characteristics, and customer activities on in-store decision making.J Mark. 2009; 73: 19-29https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.5.19
- Spontaneous selection: the influence of product and retailing factors on consumer impulse purchases.J Retailing Con Serv. 2012; 19: 578-588https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2012.07.003
- Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means so Much.Times Books, 2013
- A lot of sacrifices:” work-family spillover and the food choice coping strategies of low-wage employed parents.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 2591-2603https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.06.029
- Increases in sugary drink marketing during supplemental nutrition assistance program benefit issuance in New York.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 55-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2018.03.012
- Environmental/lifestyle factors in the pathogenesis and prevention of type 2 diabetes.BMC Med. 2017; 15: 131https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0901-x
- Socioeconomic status and cardiovascular outcomes: challenges and interventions.Circulation. 2018; 137: 2166-2178https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.029652
- Does social class predict diet quality?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1107-1117https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/87.5.1107
Guiding Stars: Nutritious Choices Made Simple; https://guidingstars.com/. Published 2021. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- Development and implementation of the guiding stars nutrition guidance program.Am J Health Promot. 2011; 26: e55-e63https://doi.org/10.4278/ajhp.100709-QUAL-238
- Transactions at a Northeastern Supermarket Chain: Differences by Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Use.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: e131-e138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.06.019
- A taste of inequality: food's symbolic value across the socioeconomic spectrum.SocScience. 2017; 4: 424-448https://doi.org/10.15195/v4.a17
Nielsen. The path to efficient trade promotions. https://origin-vip.nielsen.com/dotcom/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/04/the-path-to-efficient-trade-promotions-feb-2015.pdf. Published online 2015. Accessed January 26, 2023.
Muller F. Ahold Delhaize pledges under the second component of the EU Code of Conduct for Responsible Business and Marketing practices. https://food.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2021-11/f2f_sfpd_coc_20210705_pledge_ahold-delhaize.pdf. Published online 2021. Accessed January 7, 2023.
Center for Science in the Public Interest. Healthier checkout lanes coming to Aldi supermarkets. https://www.cspinet.org/news/healthier-checkout-lanes-coming-aldi-supermarkets-20160112. Published online 2016. Accessed January 7, 2023.
- Erratum for Nakamura et al. Price promotions on healthier compared with less healthy foods: a hierarchical regression analysis of the impact on sales and social patterning of responses to promotions in Great Britain. Am J Clin Nutr 2015;101:808-16.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 102: 980https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.115.118844
- Removing seasonal confectionery from prominent store locations and purchasing behaviour within a major UK supermarket: evaluation of a nonrandomised controlled intervention study.PLOS Med. 2022; 19e1003951https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003951
- Supermarket policies on less-healthy food at checkouts: natural experimental evaluation using interrupted time series analyses of purchases.PLOS Med. 2018; 15e1002712https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002712
- Choice architecture modifies fruit and vegetable purchasing in a university campus grocery store: time series modelling of a natural experiment.BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 1149https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-6063-8
- Association between store food environment and customer purchases in small grocery stores, gas-marts, pharmacies and dollar stores.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017; 14: 76https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-017-0531-x
- Choice architecture to promote fruit and vegetable purchases by families participating in the Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): randomized corner store pilot study.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 1297-1305https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980016003074
- Nudging customers towards healthier food and beverage purchases in a real-life online supermarket: a multi-arm randomized controlled trial.BMC Med. 2022; 20: 10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-021-02205-z
- A systematic review of the influences of food store product placement on dietary-related outcomes.Nutr Rev. 2020; 78: 1030-1045https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nuaa024
- Obesity prevention in the supermarket-choice architecture and the supplemental nutrition assistance program.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1582-1583https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303991
- Public support for healthy supermarket initiatives focused on product placement: a multi-country cross-sectional analysis of the 2018 International Food Policy Study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2021; 18: 78https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-021-01149-0
- Public acceptability in the UK and USA of nudging to reduce obesity: the example of reducing sugar-sweetened beverages consumption.PLOS ONE. 2016; 11e0155995https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0155995
City of Berkeley Ordinance No. 7,734-N.S. Adding Chapter 9.82 to The Berkeley Municipal Code “Healthy Checkout.”https://berkeleyca.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2020-10-13%20Item%2002%20Ordinance%207734.pdf. Accessed February 20, 2023.
Justia. U.S. Supreme Court. Lorillard Tobacco Co. v. Reilly, 533 U.S. 525. Published 2001. Accessed February 24, 2023.
- Supermarket purchases over the supplemental nutrition assistance program benefit month: a comparison between participants and nonparticipants.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: 800-807https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.07.025