Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- A manual for assessing health practices and designing practice policies. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia1992
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1996.
- The Canadian guide to clinical preventive health care. Canada Communication Group, Ottawa1994
- Common screening tests. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia1991
- Guide to clinical preventive services. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Maryland1989
- Actual causes of death in the United States.JAMA. 1993; 270: 2207-2212
- Health behavior and health education. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco1990
- Health promotion planning. 2nd ed. Mayfield Publishing Co, Mountain View, California1991
Institute of Medicine. The best intentions: unintended pregnancy and the well-being of children and families. Brown SS, Eisenberg L, eds. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1995.
Institute of Medicine. AIDS and behavior: an integrated approach. Auerbach JD, Wypijewska C, Brodie HKH, eds. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1994.
- Group counseling at STD clinics to promote use of condoms.Public Health Rep. 1992; 107: 727-731
- Is AIDS education related to condom acquisition?.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1992; 31: 205-210
- The Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial (MRFIT). IV. Intervention on blood lipids.Prev Med. 1981; 10: 443-475
The Writing Group for the DISC Collaborative Research Group. Efficacy and safety of lowering dietary intake of fat and cholesterol in children with elevated low-density lipoprotein cholesterol: the Dietary Intervention Study in Children (DISC). JAMA 1995;273:1429–35.
- Attributes of successful smoking cessation interventions in medical practice.JAMA. 1988; 259: 2882-2889
- Brief interventions for alcohol problems.Addiction. 1993; 88: 315-336
- Childhood injury prevention counseling in primary care settings.Pediatrics. 1993; 92: 544-553
- Dietary reduction of serum cholesterol concentration.BMJ. 1991; 303: 953-957
- Effectiveness of programme for reducing cardiovascular risk for men in one general practice.BMJ. 1993; 306: 1652-1656
- Randomised trial of lipid lowering dietary advice in general practice.BMJ. 1995; 310: 569-573
- Putting medical practice guidelines into practice.Am J Prev Med. 1994; 10: 209-216
- Cholesterol-Lowering Intervention Program.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156: 1205-1213
- Physician extenders for cost-effective management of hypercholesterolemia.J Gen Intern Med. 1996; 11: 277-286
- Evidence for the effects of HIV antibody counseling and testing on risk behaviors.JAMA. 1991; 266: 2419-2429
- Health for our children. Action for Sick Children, London1993
Department of Health and Human Services. Preventing tobacco use among young people: a report of the Surgeon General. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 1994; Publication no. S/N 017-001-00491-0.
- Efficacy of screening mammography.JAMA. 1995; 273: 149-154
- A case-control study of screening sigmoidoscopy and mortality from colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 653-657
- Contentious screening decisions.New Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1243-1244
- Patient-specific decisions about hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women.JAMA. 1997; 277: 1140-1147
- Prospective study of prenatal screening for Down’s syndrome with free β human chorionic gonadotrophin.BMJ. 1993; 307: 764-769
- Prenatal screening for Down’s syndrome with use of maternal serum markers [see comments].N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 588-593
- Anxiety in women with low maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein screening results.Prenat Diagn. 1991; 11: 381-385
- Longitudinal screening for prostate cancer with prostate-specific antigen.JAMA. 1996; 276: 1309-1315
- Improving the decision-making process.Health Aff (Millwood). 1988; 7: 99-106
- Expanding patient involvement in care.Ann Intern Med. 1985; 102: 520-528
- Mammography screening for women aged 40 through 49.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1103-1106
- The use of prostate specific antigen for prostate cancer screening.J Urol. 1994; 152: 1689-1692
- The importance of patient preferences in the decision to screen for prostate cancer.J Gen Intern Med. 1996; 11: 342-349
- What do patients need to know about PSA screening? [abstract].J Gen Intern Med. 1996; 11: 114
- Selective screening for Chlamydia trachomatis infection in a primary care population of women.Am J Epidemiol. 1993; 138: 143-153
- Prevention of pelvic inflammatory disease by screening for cervical chlamydial infection.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1362-1366
- Screening for prostate cancer; a decision analytic review.JAMA. 1994; 272: 773-780
- Early detection of prostate cancer..Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 468-479
- Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. Oxford University Press, New York1996
- Evidence-based health care. Churchill Livingstone, London1996
- Cost-effectiveness of a routine varicella vaccination program for US children.JAMA. 1994; 271: 375-381
- Colorectal cancer screening.Gastroenterology. 1997; 112: 594-642
- Cost effectiveness of simvastatin treatment to lower cholesterol levels in patients with coronary heart disease. Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 332-336
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Screening young children for lead poisoning: guidance for state and local public health officials. Atlanta, Georgia: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 1997.
- Cost-effectiveness of screening for carotid artery stenosis in asymptomatic persons.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 337-346
- Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1150-1155
- Lack of effect of long-term supplementation with beta-carotene on the incidence of malignant neoplasms and cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1145-1149
- Developing evidence-based clinical practice guidelines: lessons learned by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Annu Rev Public Health. 1996; 17: 511-538
- 1. Reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease.JAMA. 1984; 251: 351-364
- Helsinki Heart Study.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 1237-1245
- Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1301-1307
Office on Smoking and Health, Centers for Disease Control. The health benefits of smoking cessation. Rockville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 1990; DHHS Publication No. (CDC) 90-8416.
- Discontinuation of antihyperlipidemic drugs.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1125-1131
- Quality-of-life outcomes in men treated for localized prostate cancer.JAMA. 1995; 273: 129-135
- A prospective evaluation of plasma prostate-specific antigen for detection of prostatic cancer.JAMA. 1995; 273: 289-294
- So what’s so special about randomisation?.in: Maynard A Chalmers I Non-random reflections on health services research on the 25th anniversary of Archie Cochrane’s Effectiveness and Efficiency. BMJ Publishing Group, London1997: 93-106
- A case-control study of the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 1361-1367
- Effectiveness of bicycle helmets in preventing head injury in children.BMJ. 1994; 308: 173-176
Chalmers TC. Implications of meta-analysis: need for a new generation of randomized control trials. In: McCormick KA, Moore SR, Siegel RA, eds. Clinical practice guideline development: methodology perspectives. Rockville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 1994; AHCPR Pub. No. 95-0009.
- Discrepancies between meta-analyses and subsequent large randomized, controlled trials.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 536-542
Hedges LV. Combining estimates across studies: meta-analysis of research. In: McCormick KA, Moore SR, Siegel RA, eds. Clinical practice guideline development: methodology perspectives. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 1994; AHCPR Pub. No. 95-0009.
- Systematic reviews.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 389-391
- The Cochrane Collaboration. Preparing, maintaining, and disseminating systematic reviews of the effects of health care.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1935-1938
- Collaborative overview of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy. I: Prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke by prolonged antiplatelet therapy in various categories of patients.BMJ. 1994; 308: 81-106
- Development of the common data base for the FICSIT trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 297-308
- Frailty and injuries in later life.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 283-296
- The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1341-1347
- Environmental lead and children’s intelligence.Br Med J. 1994; 309: 1189-1197
- Improving the quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials. The CONSORT statement.JAMA. 1996; 276: 637-639
- Effect of clinical guidelines on medical practice.Lancet. 1993; 342: 1317-1322
- Implementing clinical practice guidelines.Effective Health Care. 1994; 8: 1-12
National Committee for Quality Assurance. Health Plan Employer Data and Information Set (HEDIS 3.0). Washington, DC: NCQA; 1997.