Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Cancer statistics 1997.CA Cancer J Clin. 1997; 47: 5-27
- An adjustment to the 1997 estimate for new prostate cancer cases.CA Cancer J Clin. 1997; 47: 239-242
- Epidemiology of Prostate Cancer.Cancer J Clin. 1997; 47: 273-278
- New insights in the epidemiology and natural history of benign prostatic hyperplasia.Prog Clin Biol Res. 1994; 386: 3-18
Catalona WJ, Smith DS, Ratliff TL, et al. Measurement of prostate specific antigen in serum as a screening test for prostate cancer. NEJM 1991;1156–61.
Catalona WJ, Richie JP, Ahmann FR, et al. Comparison of digital rectal examination and serum prostate specific antigen in the early detection of prostate cancer: results of a multi-center clinical trial of 6,630 men. J Urol 1994A;151:1283–90.
- Economics of screening for carcinoma of the prostate.Urol Clin North Am. 1990; 17: 719-737
- Screening for carcinoma of the prostate.Cancer. 1985; 56: 173-177
- Assessment of screening for prostate cancer using the digital rectal examination.J Urol. 1989; 141: 1136-1138
- A prospective evaluation of plasma prostate-specific antigen for detection of prostate cancer.JAMA. 1995; 263: 289-294
- Characteristics of prostate cancer detected in the American Cancer Society National Prostate Cancer Detection Project.J Urol. 1994; 152: 1737-1740
- Tumor volume and stage in carcinoma of the prostate detected by elevations in prostate specific antigen.J Urol. 1994; 152: 129-131
- Detection of organ-confined prostate cancer is increased through use of prostate-specific antigen-based screening.JAMA. 1993; 270: 948-954
- Prospective characterization of pathologic features of prostate carcinomas detected via serum prostate specific antigen based screening.J Urol. 1996; 155: 816-820
- Prostate cancer detection in a clinical urological practice by ultrasonography, digital rectal examination and prostate specific antigen.J Urol. 1990; 143: 1146-1152
- Prostate specific antigen and digital rectal examination in screening for prostate cancer.South Med J. 1994; 87: 720-723
- Prostatic specific antigen density.J Urol. 1992; 1476: 815-816
- Longitudinal evaluation of prostate-specific antigen levels in men with and without prostate disease.JAMA. 1992; 267: 2215-2220
- Usefulness of the ratio of free total prostate specific antigen in addition to total PSA levels in prostate cancer screening.Urology. 1996; 48: 62-66
- Prospective use of free prostate-specific antigen to avoid repeat biopsies in men with elevated total prostate specific antigen.Urology. 1996; 48: 76-80
- Significance of serum free prostate specific antigen in the screening of prostate cancer.J Urol. 1996; 156: 1964-1968
- Evaluation and comparison of two new prostate carcinoma markers.Cancer. 1996; 78: 809-818
- Prostate cancer detection in men with serum PSA concentrations of 2.6–4.0 ng/mL and benign prostate examination: enhancement of specificity with serum free PSA measurements.JAMA. 1997; 277: 1452-1455
- Serum prostate specific antigen in a community-based population of healthy men.JAMA. 1993; 270: 860-864
Catalona WJ, Hudson MA, Scardino PT, et al. Selection of optimal prostate specific antigen cutoffs for early detection of prostate cancer: receiver operating characteristic curves. J Urol 1994B;152:2037–42.
- Disease-specific survival following routine prostate cancer screening by digital rectal examination.JAMA. 1993; 269: 61-64
- Case-control study of screening for prostatic cancer by digital rectal examinations.Lancet. 1991; 337: 1526-1529
- Improving survival for patients with prostate cancer diagnosed in the prostate-specific antigen era.Urology. 1996; 48: 67-71
- Diagnosis of advanced or noncurable prostate cancer can be practically eliminated by prostate-specific antigen.Urology. 1996; 47: 212-217
- Deferred treatment of low grade stage T3 prostate cancer without distant metastasis.J Urol. 1993; 149: 326-329
- Expectant management of clinically localized prostate cancer.J Urol. 1994; 152: 1757-1760
- Results of conservative management of clinically localized prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 242-248
- Fifteen-year survival in prostate cancer.JAMA. 1997; 277: 467-471
- Prostate cancer screening.J Fam Pract. 1995; 41: 33-41
- Screening for prostate cancer.JAMA. 1994; 262: 773-780
- Early detection of prostate cancer. Part II. Estimating the risks, benefits and costs.Ann Int Med. 1997; 126: 468-479
Smith DS, Catalona WJ, Herschman JD. Longitudinal screening for prostate cancer with prostate-specific antigen. JAMA 1996;1309–15.
- Comparing two modalities for screening for prostate cancer.Tumor. 1995; 81: 225-229
- Screening by the prostate-specific antigen test.J Cancer Educ. 1996; 11: 39-44
- Primary care practitioners.J Urol. 1996; 155: 601-604
- The impact of informed consent on patient interest in prostate-specific antigen screening.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156: 1333-1336
- Prostate cancer screening.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 119: 914-923
- The importance of patient preferences in the decision to screen for prostate cancer.J Gen Intern Med. 1996; 11: 342-349
☆Dr. Ferrini is supported by an American Cancer Society Physician Training Award in Preventive Medicine.